SIX| freckles

The acid fog finally subsided, and the crowd in the dropship filed outside into the fresh air as a pink sunset filtered across the sky

The acid fog finally subsided, and the crowd in the dropship filed outside into the fresh air as a pink sunset filtered across the sky. I was still on the top floor, resting my aching head as I waited for Clarke and the others to get back to camp. I hoped they had found shelter in time. If they didn't get back soon, I feared Jasper wouldn't make it. I sighed as I sat up and looked over at him. I stood up, wincing as the room spun. Damn Murphy for giving me this awful headache.

At least I got one memory out of it; the memory of meeting Bellamy. I hoped as the days went on, everything would slowly start to come back to me. One thing that stuck out about the memory of how Bellamy and I met was that as soon as I looked into his brown eyes, I felt a spark somewhere deep inside of my heart. That spark was coming to the surface as I replayed the moment over and over again in my mind. 

"They're back!" I heard Octavia yell from below, snapping me out of my thoughts about Bellamy. 

I went down the ladder quickly, trying my best to ignore the pounding in my head. I followed Octavia outside into the night air as I saw Clarke and Finn walk into camp first. I let out a breath of relief. They were all okay. 

I saw Bellamy and Wells behind them, carrying a stretcher with a body on it. The face of the person on the stretcher had a jacket over their face. Who was it?

Before I could ask, Clarke and Finn walked up to Octavia and me, "We got the seaweed. I just needed boiled water to make the medicine."

I nodded with relief, "Monty and Archie are still up there. You better make the medicine fast. Jasper's fever has gotten worse."

Octavia glanced behind Clarke, noticing the stretcher. Clarke tried to grab her shoulders, "Come on, let's go talk-"

Octavia shoved past her, "Octavia, just stay there," Bellamy warned. He stepped in front of her. "Please, stay back."

A bad feeling hit my gut as I glanced around at the faces of everyone who had been on the hunting trip with Bellamy. The only face I didn't see was Atom's. 

Everyone went silent as Octavia pushed past her brother and leaned down over the stretcher. She tentatively pulled the jacket away and gasps went through the crowd gathered outside as Atom's face was revealed. Half of it was covered in angry red burns. Tears fell from Octavia's eyes as Bellamy stepped forward.

"There was nothing I could do-"

Octavia held up her hand angrily, "Don't."

She looked away from Bellamy as her gaze returned to Atom. More tears cascaded down her cheek as she lifted the jacket over his scarred face. She stood up and tried to walk away, but Bellamy caught her in his arms.

"O, O, please-"

She stormed away from him, and he watched her look away with regret painted on his face. I wanted to go after her, and I could tell he did too, but I had a feeling that Octavia just needed some space for a while.