Chapter 16

(A picture of Prince Oddone, it's a real life picture of him. Here comes the new chapter!)

Oddone limped around the laboratory as he inspected Dr. Coda's work. Angela fidgeted behind me but I refuse to look at her, still bitter at her for previously putting me and Signora Karlovic in danger.

I had told Signora Karlovic to wait upstairs as we scour Dr. Coda's work under the order of Oddone as I didn't want her to go down into her torture chambers again. Even if I was far better than I was before, I still hate dark dungeons similar to that cellar who haunts my mind. I can only sympathize with what Signora Karlovic goes through when she view this site.

But, much to my astonishment, Signora Karlovic refused to be left behind. I commend her for her bravery as she didn't show any fear on her face while we walked down the stair one last time. Her valor inspired me to follow her example. Maybe one day, I will dare go down into my place of nightmares.

"Principe... I mean Signor Oddone. Did you find-" Angela stuttered but Oddone answered her before she could finish her question.

"There is no cure. He abandons the search for a cure during the Second World War and started to direct his effort to find the weaknesses of clans and maybe even find the source of their power."

"That... Can't be. There has to be here somewhere!" Angela began to rummage among the papers, desperate to find what she was looking for. I heard Signora Karlovic mumbled that she was as insane as Dr. Coda.

"Angela...Angela! What are you doing? Why are you so direly to find a cure? It certainly isn't for you, you love this life, so who-"

I halted my sentence when I noticed tears streaming down her face.

"It must be here! It was my only lead!"

Oddone watched her from his corner with pondering eyes. "Who do you want to cure, bambina?"

Angela succumbed to despair and fell onto her knees while trying to find a cure among the rubble.

"He... He will... I need to find a cure!"

Oddone turned to Signora Karlovic. "Let's give the two ladies some privacy."

Signora Karlovic looked unsure, she didn't seem to trust Angela enough to want to leave her alone with me, but she also had no intention of going against a Monarch. That would be unwise. So both of then moved into the office next door while I walked over to Angela. I fell onto my knees and looked into her tear filled eyes.

"Why are you doing this, Angela? This isn't like you. You work voluntarily as a nurse for homeless people and goes down into the catacombs to care for the daemons who can't get any medical attention any other way. You are a kind soul so why did you do all this?"

Angela closed her eyes and tried to collect whatever kind of strength she could before she answered me with a voice broken by sorrow.

"When I came to Torino, I was all alone. No one wanted to befriend a girl from the country and I was called horrendous things. Then I met a kindred spirit. His name is Santo Gallo. He was born in a small village outside of Torino as well and once was a soldier during the last war. He now worked as a factory worker. We became friends."

I listened patiently though I wanted to inquire about the man as she never mentioned him before now.

"Then... He was turned. That's how I was introduced to the world of the Ascendants. Unlike me, he had not been turned by his own accord. They attacked him in order to turn him in a dark alley one night. As a former soldier, he was considered a good candidate."