Chapter 25

(A picture of Ardashir Babakan, maker of Alessandro Borgia, Here comes chapter 25, enjoy!)

The heavens seem to weep as the sullen weather refused to let up and mirrored my mournful heart. My two children often came in to encourage me to feed but food and drink tasted like ash on my tung and left me hollow.

Carlo rarely left my side and merely stood by the window looking out. He had not wept even once but stood there like a forlorn statue with a distant gaze towards the dark sky. Neither showing sadness or anger. He seemed to await my return to reality, only sparing me a few gentle glances to ensure my wellbeing.

I cannot remember the day. How long has it been? The mansion was so quiet, only small sounds echoed through the hall almost like to remind me of the world. I have cried out my sorrow and rage. The only thing left was the hollow feeling of nothingness.

I laid my head on a pillow in the lounge watching Carlo's back while my two children petted my head. Though my head was sore, I still reached for my children to give them affection, refusing to make them feel lonesome as I was in my grief.

Carlo slowly turned to me with dark eyes that seem to swallow the room. "Someone is coming, bambina."

His voice was husky, proving to the world that he had not spoken for days. I sat up and told my children to leave us alone, promising them that we would eat later on. Tramonto rushed eagerly away as he was joyous to finally have his mother speak to him. Alba, on the other hand, was a bit more hesitant and looked over at me.

"I will be well, mia cara," I said with a gentle voice and she gave me small smile and rushed away with a humming noise.

"Who is coming?" I asked and straighten myself into a more dignified position.

"I don't know. I merely hear determine footstep approaching," Carlo said and went closer to me as if to guard me against the intruders.

As if to answer his call the door opened and I felt my heart tighten as The Sovereign entered with his benefactor, Umberto Biancamano. The Sovereign looked over at Carlo with prudent eyes. I reckoned that it was no mere coincidence that they had arrived during sullen weathers that obscured the sun.

Umberto nodded towards Carlo before giving me a gentle smile that earned him favors from me. He didn't seem to mind it though a merely spoke with conviction.

"I must give you my sincerest apologies for the dark incidents that you have witnessed since your birth. I can assure you that this world is not just as such but contains much beauty."

"No amount of beauty can hide the foul machinations of mortal greed," I replied callously.

"What are you doing here? Barging into this mansion without even notifying us first!" said Carlo and The Sovereign huffed.

"When did a Sovereign ever need to-"

"Another thing to apologize for but we have news," Umberto intervened and shoot the Sovereign an ominous glare before continuing, "After the deplorable affair with your Herald, we still need to choose another."

"Alessandro Borgia is not yet cold in his grave and you want us to choose another Herald?" Carlo huffed and Umberto gave him a sleazy smile that made my skin crawl.

"Or has you already chosen a new Herald?" I asked quietly. Carlo eyes turned to me before darting to the two intruders with hostility.

"Who?"

"Lucretzia," I replied Carlo's question with a dark look in my eyes.

"What? She has no right to the title," Carlo seethed.