Chapter 8

Jewel

I parked my car in front of Ballet Academy. I stepped out of the car in my brown moccasins, today is a comfortable day for me. I grabbed the blue pen on front of the desk and signed Mckayla out.

"Mommy! Look what I learned today!" Mckayla turned her feet so they were now heel to heel.

"Wow, what position is that?" I smiled, testing her.

"First position!" She cheered.

"Good job buttercup!" I high fived her, causing her to giggle.

I grabbed Mckayla's hand and headed back to the car.

"Mommy can we go to Mickey D's all that dancing has me really hungry."

I chuckled. "Sure sweetie."

I strapped Mckayla in her booster seat, and then got in the drivers seat. I buckled myself and then drove off.

"So how was your first dance class?" I asked Kayla.

"It was really fun mommy, I met a new friend."

I smirked. "Oh really, what's her name?"

Mckayla rubbed her eyes. "Autumn, She looks just like me mommy."

I furrowed an eyebrow as I thought to myself...why does that name sound so damn familar? I shook the thoughts out of my head as I pulled up to Mcdonald's drive thru.

"Welcome to Mcdonald's how may I help you?"

"Yes, give me one second please."

"My pleasure. Take all the time you need."

"What you want Kayla?" I looked through the rearview mirror to see her knocked out.

I shook my head. I should've known this girl was sleepy after I seen her rubbing her eyes.

"I'm ready to order. Can I get a girl's Happy meal with chicken nuggets and fries."

"What's your drink?"

"A sprite."

The lady repeated the order back to me and I verified.

" $5.56 is your total pull to the first window please."

I pulled to the first window and paid for the food. Then I pulled to the second window where the food was handed to me. I checked the bag to make sure everything was correct. Everytime I go to a fast food place I check my bag before I pull off because these fools famous for screwing your order.

15 minutes later.

I arrived to the house. Mckayla was still sleep so I threw her over my shoulder while I carried her food in my other hand. I jumped as August swung the door open.

"Can you not hear? I been tryna call you all morning!"

I flinched from the sound of August voice. I laid Mckayla on the sofa and put her food in the microwave.

"My phone died...geesh, what's up?" I popped a fry in my mouth.

My heart dropped once I seen two detectives and a couple of polices standing in the dining room.

"August what happened?" I gulped.

"Jewel?" One of the detectives walked over towards me.

I nodded my head.