Chapter Three - It Doesn't Really Matter

The sound of the shrieking alarm woke me. I lifted my body up still on the bed. I noticed my entire body felt suddenly stiff, sweat beading down my forehead. My eyes half lidded, I could easily drift back off to sleep. 

Something is going on. But what? My mind was only left with more and more questions that had the probability of not being answered at this time. 

I dragged my hand up and wiped the upcoming sweat off my forehead. Blinking multiple times, I gazed down to see Mavis still sleeping on my legs. Her breathing was slow and calm, she had nothing to worry about. I'm kind of envious about it. 

Sighing, I climbed out of bed. The nightmare still hanging heavy on my shoulders. It felt so real, I could physically taste the smoke lurking in my mouth. I shuddered at the thought. 

I tip-toed down the stairs, the sounds of Mavis' groggy groans of her waking up echoing behind me. My hand grasped the cold door handle sending shivers down my spine, slowly, I opened the door. 

It seemed as if I was expecting something climatic to happen, but the atmosphere felt dead in the living room. A soft sigh escaped my lips, "It was a frightful day yesterday, it's probably still the trauma." I told myself. 

I approached mauve coloured curtains, dragging one half to one side, tucking it behind the window sill and did the same for the other. I walked over to the kitchen where my phone was on charge. 

My back rested against a corner of the wooden counter, my phone still connected to the charging wire, I decided to check the news about the electricity problem. 

Scrolling through, I groaned in defeat Everything was up and working again as normal as if the incident of yesterday never happened. I placed my phone back onto the counter leaving it to charge more as I grabbed breakfast. 

It didn't take me a while to get everything prepared for school, just as I was ready to leave my mother came down, all dressed for her school she worked at as a teacher's assistant. We exchanged goodbyes and I set off on my walk. 

My thumbs scrolled endlessly through the social media to make me appear as if I was occupied with doing something. The cold bitter air hissed on my shoulder, multiple shivers ran up my spine. 

"Blair!" I heard a voice call out. I turned around, in the distance I saw River and Rhianna running towards me, Rhianna waving her hand enthusiastically to me and River trailing not far behind her with a slight anxious look on his face. I stopped in my tracks, trying my best to look as if nothing happened as I waited for them to run up to me. 

Rhianna was the first to approach me, not even a second after was River, "Wow, I never knew we lived so close to each other, we really need to start hanging out together more." Rhianna said, panting for breath. I said nothing but nodded my head in agreement. 

I looked up to River, "Have you seen Shannon anywhere?" I questioned, "She's supposed to be walking with me this morning, she doesn't live far from here either." He shrugged his shoulders, "Honestly, I have no idea." he replied. 

Shannon had quite the connection with the twins, I could tell as much from how they acted around each other during lessons and even out of class. Rhianna nodded folding her arms, "Yeah, our parents are really close so we always hung out when we was kids and it's always been that way." Rhianna began to explain, "But since we got out of detention she's been really quiet which is unlike her, she usually walks home with us but she refused." 

It then clicked. The reason of why she never walked home with Rhianna and River was because of what she was seeing yesterday. Maybe she just set off early, she could be there already.