Chapter III : Mourning Call

He forgot to close the window before he went to sleep that night as his feet turned into ice. He opened his eyes as he stared at his front door for a while as the wind of morning change passed through the window. It was 4 AM and 45 degrees outside. He remembered his physics teacher mentioning how sound traveled faster in a colder atmosphere. That is why the cars and the haunting sound of a train horn a mile away sounded like they were running right past his window. Other than that, his memory of how he even got into his room seemed incapable of appearing. 

His attention turned to a pair of crow's having a conversation about the weather on top of the power lines out in the streets as it came close to being 5 AM. One after the other in a constant back and forth rambling. He got up and instantly felt the frigid touch of the tile floor on his pre-frozen feet. It felt as if they were touching dry ice. He leaned over to his desk to grab the handle on the window and pushed it toward the right to close. He took a peek outside to see if the moon was visible, but it was just the dark hills on the horizon and the street lights changing colors for the silent cars that traveled on late streets. The baby blue pigment of the morning sky bleed through the black sheath of night. 

He adjusted the curtain's so that the outside remained out of view while he laid himself back into bed. He pulled his blanket over himself and got adjusted. He heard the crows rambling along with the clang of the wind chimes that hung outside his porch. It took him a while before he went back to sleep. No dreams this time. 

When he woke again at 6:30. His whole pillow case was smeared with blood. He lifted his head as he felt the stark thickness flowing down to his mouth. He touched the opening of his nostril and noticed the blood on his fingertips.

He went straight to the bathroom and turned on the faucet. The blood tainted the water as it went down the drain.

He grabbed some toilet paper and clogged his left nostril to let the blood adsorb. The metallic taste lingered as thick globs flowed down the esophagus.

That morning he awaited his cousins arrival after he ate breakfast. His aunt signed saying " Dile a tu abuela que dije hola."  He simply replied "Si aye los vemos Tia" he parted ways with a smile as he closed the door.

He stepped out in front his house. He heard gagging sounds coming by the wooden gate that leads to the backyard. It was his dad. Angel approached with a certain distance in mind. He said " Dad I'll be leaving with Chris and Grandma, I'll be back." His dad wiped his mouth clean and said " Where are you going?" Angel repeated with a higher tone this time" I'm gonna go see mom with Grandma and Chris." At that moment his cousin came bye in his red Mercedes and honked for him. His dad responded " All right I'll see you later then, be safe."

Angel hurried to the car and opened the back door. A girl that he's never seen before was sleeping there , she looked about the same age as Chris. Angel said, " Hey...um.. Chris." Chris turned and said" Come over to the front would yah." Angel nodded his head, and did as he was told. He looked back at his dad going inside the house. Chris interrupted " Long time no see, Angel" giving each other a handshake of solitude. Angel buckled his seat belt as Chris pressed the gas.

They got onto Grand Blvd, so it would take roughly 25 minutes to reach the destination. Angel positioned his head looking out the window to avoid the silence. They slowly passed by a StarVicks as Chris asked" Do you want some coffee or something?" Angel responded " nah I'm fine" Chris responded " Are you sure you look tired." Angel rolled his eyes out of Chris's view and said " Fine I'll take some coffee." Chris responded " Oh alright, but you know I was just messing with you." Angel knew he was right anyways, thus he gave a slight smirk and said" Yeah I know." Chris turned the corner and headed inside the drive through and waited.