CHAPTER XIV: Silence and Peace Reigns The Land

The quality of the air was significantly greater before the rain fall; washing all the pollutants out of the atmosphere like a fresh natural spring bath.

Angel was significantly happier being alone when he walked home, except when he would come across people he knew but didn't talk to personally. He didn't know how to react and his body, and mouth did not know how to respond properly. He had known Nico for a long time, but he would have a hard time relating to her. He decided that he needed to face reality as she walked toward him as he was leaving home. Her boyfriend, Jake, was one of the handsomest guys to grace the rotten gum traced concrete floor's of the school. He felt the need to stop and say hello to her, or he could pretend he's invisible while the pain in his chest reminded him that he obviously is not. He stared at the floor as they passed by. Booth silent and looking down upon him. An adrenaline rush kicked in as he looked back up at the blue sky as he walked on home. in a logical sense he didn't do her any wrong, but he did create a lot of negative emotions inside of his head; more than he could handle.

That afternoon, Miguel was at the skate park with a couple of his friends grinding on rails. He rested on the edge of the parks podium with his friend Kaiser from PE class. He was often told to get a haircut by his parents. Kaiser has embraced the 80's long hair look he always wanted, of course in expense to his relativity calming nature among his peer's. He was fairly short guy measuring about 5'5, so falling off a skateboard wasn't much of a pain. " You like eating potatoes with the skin?" Kaiser put his bag of hot chips to the side and responded "Yeah, my mom always puts them in the oven without peeling the skin off, It's how your supposed to do it." Miguel said "Huh, if so then why did your mom name you after a hospital?" Kaiser laughed and said "At least my name isn't the most common Mexican name in the world." "And that's true, you got me there."

Kaiser pointed his left finger to the right and said "Hey isn't that your ex?" Miguel looked past his finger and into the distance, but he couldn't figure out where she was. "What I can't see anything from here." My guy are you blind, It's Nico and her new boyfriend this week." Miguel withdrew from noticing her existence "What do you mean." Kaiser responded" Stop acting like she doesn't exist man. Look she's coming this way." Miguel tried to remain calm like it wasn't such as big deal, but inside he was having a full on panic attack. He hoped she wouldn't notice him. Eventually they did and they booth laughed at him as kissed while walking away. In reality, they didn't, but he sure did miss the heck out of her. So much that the band aids in his heart started to fall and the cracks were exposed. Kaiser could see the pain in his eye's from what had just happened. He said to Miguel "Don't worry dude, you got me." Miguel shoved him aside and cracked a small smirk. Kaiser said "What about that one girl from Fremont." He was referring to the school a few blocks over where Miguel reported to be in a relationship with a girl in brunette hair. " Ezra is a great girl." Kaiser pointed out "Then where is she?" Miguel chuckled when he said "She's doing after school 'activities'" Kaiser responded "I thought you said she was the one, and she's out hoeing around like you are."

Kaiser and Miguel walked with their skate's toward the local 7-11. Kaiser said "Hey, how's the Angel doing." Miguel said "The Angel? What do you wanna know about him?" Kaiser looked a little duped and said "Okay, damn never mind." Miguel said "I actually don't know cause I haven't talked to him in a long time." It was stupid he thought, the current status between Angel and him. He had almost forgot what he was mad at him for. He thought maybe it was time to ease things over before the world ends or something else prevents him from doing so. Kaiser said " You guys have been friend for quite a while too. I wonder." Miguel looked back at the time he went to his house to play video games, Angel seemed really anxious and said he was not used to having people over. He went over for a good while. The last time was the beginning of this year, before everything got weird. The calm sun bounced off the cracked concrete pavement and onto their faces. The heat was slowly gaining speed until it would hit it's peak around August or September. Right now they didn't have to worry about that just yet.