TEN

Washington DC, 2014

Washington DC, 2014

"Freak." The insult came from an unknown girl walking past Raelynn.

Raelynn didn't look up from her work, but her eyes did start to water, not enough to escape. She didn't want them to know they won. Instead she continued her history worksheet.

Constantly being transferred to new schools wasn't easy. At least for Raelynn, Kol was thriving at every school he went to. He was popular, had friends and got accepted. Middle schoolers weren't having it, they ate the little Avenger alive.

Thankfully, it was the last day before spring break. All Raelynn wanted was a mission to come up. It didn't have to be an Avenger mission, but at least something Kol could be a part of. She didn't get to spend much time with her brother nowadays, except for training. He was gone most of the time hanging out with his friends. She missed him.

The classroom became quiet when the teacher's phone rang. "Yep, I'll send her down." The man looked at Raelynn. "Ms. Miller, your mother is here to pick you up."

With a nod, she packed up her things before leaving. Miller was the new alias the family got. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't her favorite. They were spies, she knew that, but a cooler name would be cool.

Once she hit the hallway, a smile grew knowing that the only time she got pulled from school is when a mission came up.

Natasha met her in the office, thanking the secretary before they walked to the car. Kol was already in the backseat, Raelynn climbed in and sat next to him.

"Where are we going?" The girl asked.

"Picking up Steve." Natasha answered, but didn't explain what the details were. Raelynn guessed that she was waiting for Steve so she didn't have to tell it twice. "How was school?"

The girl shrugged. "It was okay." She lied, it wasn't okay. The activities of today included getting pushed into the lockers, being called names and someone sticking gum in her hair that she had to cut out. Luckily it was only on a few pieces of hair since she moved out of the way before it could get worse.

Thankfully, Kol told them about his day. He pretty much got to skip class since it was the last day, but he got to ask out his crush; rollerskating next weekend.

The car grew in silence for the next thirty minutes as they reached Steve, who was talking to a man by the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting pool.

"Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil." Natasha joked as she rolled down the window, breaking up the conversation between the two men. Kol and Raelynn let out a loud laugh.