THIRTEEN

Raelynn sat at the small desk, across from Natasha. The redhead wanted to talk to her daughter about what she had been going through at school.

"At first, it was just knocking my books out of my hands, or not letting me sit at certain tables." Raelynn took a breath and started to fidget with her fingers. "Then, it just got worse. Eventually it turned into rumors, cussing at me in the hall, cyberbullying, pushing me into walls and lockers, tripping. Someone threw a milk carton at me."

Natasha felt terrible hearing the terrible stuff that's happened to her daughter, she knew that she didn't have a normal childhood but what she remembered at school, the kids were nice to one another. "Why didn't you say anything?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. I guess I could handle it."

Kol burst through their hotel room door. "You guys gotta check out the pool! It's so cool!" He exclaimed not looking at the girls. Once he reached the small front room, he instantly regretted his words. "Sorry."

A phone ringing broke the conversation. Natasha grabbed it from her pocket.

"Yeah?"

The siblings watched as her face dropped.

"I understand, we're on our way." With that, Natasha hung up. She looked over to Kol. "Get dressed. Now." He did what he was told.

--

"Where are we going?" Raelynn asked her mother as the woman sped down the street.

"Hospital." She vaguely answered. "Fury was shot."

Kol was shocked to hear the words out of his mother's mouth. "What? What happened?!" But she didn't answer, because she didn't know.

All she knew was that the man who helped save her life, who gave her her children, was lying on a table trying to not die.

Natasha parked the car once they reached the hospital entrance, immediately all three of them ran inside.

--

The room was dark as the three adults and two teens watched through the glass, separating the operating room, as their boss and friend lied on the table while the doctors tried to get the bullets out of his body.

Raelynn watched as her eyes became full of tears, as much as she wanted to look away from the view of Fury; she couldn't, in her heart and mind she wanted the man to be okay but the way it was looking she knew he wouldn't.

The man played a big part in their lives.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha asked.

"I don't know." Steve muttered, feeling guilty.

Natasha glanced down at her daughter to see she was crying, the woman quickly grabbed her daughters hand. "Tell me about the shooter." Natasha told Steve as her voice lowered, bringing her eyes back up to Fury.

"He's fast. Strong. Had a metal arm." Steve said lowering his head thinking about how he could've had the shooter but lost his opportunity. "Ballistics?" Nat asked, thinking about the same shooter that shot her years ago. "Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Maria answered as she walked next to Kol, taking his hand.

"Soviet-made." Natasha said. Maria looked at the woman with a look of realization on her face. "Yeah." She answered.

At that moment, Natasha knew who the shooter was. She was in fact correct, it was the same man who shot her years ago. The Winter Soldier.

"He's in V-tach." A nurse spoke. "Crash cart coming in." Raelynn heard these words and began to cry harder. She knew he was leaving; Maria, Steve, Kol and Natasha knew too.

"Don't do this to me Nick." Natasha muttered softly as they watched the nurses and doctor began to get the defibrillator ready to use. "No pulse." The nurse said.

Raelynn shook her head, this couldn't be happening. She already lost her Uncle Phil, she couldn't lose her Uncle Fury too. She knew that this job came with losses, it didn't mean it hurt less when it happened.

Natasha kept repeating the same words under her breath as she watched the doctor still not get a pulse from Fury.

Steve walked away from the window knowing that Fury was gone, Raelynn backed away from the window and from her mother's grip, Maria, Kol and Natasha continued to look at Fury in his final moments.

After a second, Maria walked away from the window as well, leaving Kol and Natasha. Without knowing where to go, Raelynn bolted out of the room.

The blonde saw the bathroom down the hall and decided to go in there.

Thankfully the bathroom was empty at the ungodly hour of the morning; Raelynn looked in the mirror as tears came down harder and faster, she put her hands on the sink as she leaned over to catch a breath.

The man she looked at for help, the man who gave her so much more than she could've asked for..was dead. She was now sobbing while holding onto the sink.

The door was pushed open by Natasha. "Rae.." Her mother spoke softly.

Raelynn couldn't speak, her breathing became heavier. She began to walk away from the sink, letting it go in the process. The blonde stood in front of her mother and tried to calm down but failed. Natasha's heart broke seeing her daughter this way.

The red haired woman walked closer to the crying teen, Nat's eyes saw a glimpse of light. This caused her to look at Raelynn's hands, who had light coming out of her hands, she wasn't in full control anymore. Natasha didn't think twice but to embrace Raelynn in her arms.