Chapter 10

Derik stands there not even wanting to believe what he has in his hand. He looks at it and then looks at Jee Hae. Sarah comes out from behind him looking at Jee Hae as well. She looks back to Derik to see what can only be described as devastation in his eyes.

"Emily as in your Ex-girlfriend from when you were kids?" Sarah inquired.

"Yes, Sarah. That's me. I have been trying my hardest to win him back and nothing seems to have worked. I know how much he loved me. I tried not to reveal who I was but you took him away from me." Emily says raising her voice.

Sarah stares at Emily trying to figure out what more to say. She knew that if it came to Emily she would lose out. Sarah could not help but think about how much she went through to get back here to him. She looks at Derik as he gains the courage to speak.

"Emily, why? Why all this deception? Why not tell me?" He lets go of Sarah's hand walking slowly up to Emily.

Derik looks at her starting to cry. He cannot believe what he is seeing. He grabs a hold of Emily for a hug without even thinking. Sarah looks at them then turns her attention towards the ground.

Derik does not let go of Emily as he thinks about the last time he saw her.

Walking up to the playground Derik watches as a little Asian girl is swinging back and forth. He walks over to her smiling. He sits in the swing next to her.

"Emily, how long are you allowed to stay?" He says to her.

"Father said I can stay till he picks me up. He said he had a surprise for me." She responds.

"I bet you're super excited. So this time I am going to do it, I am going to beat my jump height." He says excitedly.

Emily looks at him starting to laugh. She can't help to think it is not even going to happen. She watches him for a moment then starts to swing herself. The height that she reaches remains constant.

"You are going to get hurt if you do it Derik." She says laughing.

"Don't worry. You say that every time." Derik responds.

They both start laughing as Derik puts his hands to position himself to jump. He looks at her and waits till he gets the perfect height to push off.

"Are you ready? Watch Emily." Derik says.

Derik pushes off to jump. When he does he goes to land on his feet only to trip and fall flat on his face. His knee hits a rock then he rolls over. Derik seems to laugh it off as Emily runs over to him.

"Are you okay?" Emily says.

"I fell on this rock, but I am okay." Derik responds as he gets up.

"It looks like it broke." She says.

Derik grabs the rock and it falls apart in two pieces. On the inside of the rock is quartz crystal. Derik looks at them both. He hands one half to Emily.

"Here, if we ever get lost, This will help us find each other. It's like a magic spell." Derik says.

"These are pretty." Emily responds as she stares at the one she receives.

Derik puts his in his pocket and smiles at Emily. He grabs Emily by the hand and leads her over to the merry go round. When he puts her on it he runs spinning it around as fast as he could before jumping on with her.

They continue laughing as it comes to a stop, They both notice an Asian man standing there in a black business suit. Emily looks at him and smiles.

"Abeoji!" She says excitingly to her father.

"Emily lets go!" He responds to her.

"Where we going? Can Derik come?" Emily asks.