Chapter 12

Sarah's eyes start to flicker open when she realizes where she is. The medic in the ambulance was giving her an IV as well as changing her dressing. She looked at Derik and he saw terror in her eyes.

When he saw that in her eyes, he realized what it had meant. Sarah had given up and accepted what fate she was going to be dealt. He looked at her and tears streamed from his eyes.

"Hang in there Sarah. Hang in there" He pleaded with her.

Sarah attempted to talk but started to gasp for air. At that moment the medic put a oxygen mask on her. She turns her head towards Derik. Her bloody hand reaches out to his face. When she touches his cheek, she smiles and starts to cry.

"Derik, I am scared" the words were partially muffled by the mask.

"It's alright Sarah. You are going to be all right" He says barely holding it together.

She looks at him as though she was a bit disappointed in him. Her facial expression seemed to change. She seemed to get really sleepy. She removes the mask from her face so she could speak clearly.

"What are you doing? You need that Sarah." He says frightened.

"Derik I am not scared anymore. You are beside me and that's all I could ask for." She says as it becomes harder to breath.

"Sarah don't do this. Do not do it. You are going to be alright." Derik responds holding her hand and her face.

"Derik. It's fine. Thank you for being so good to me. If it was not for you. I would not have known true love. A love worth surviving and fighting for." She says gasping for air.

"No Sarah. Put the mask back on. Please put it back on." Derik pleads again.

"I am so tired.." She continues. "Derik I love you"

As she says that her eyes close and the sound of the heart monitor does a constant beeping noise because it shows no pulse. Derik looks at it and the color leaves his face.

He looks as if his own heart was being ripped out of his body. The facial expression of pure pain shows.

"No.. No. Sarah no.." He leans down to kiss her crying.

The medic gives the clear indication of using the AED on board the ambulance. With multiple jolts there is no response. The medic hands his head down and starts pulling the sheet to cover her up.

"No.. Don't" Derik says stopping him.

He positions himself so Sarah's head would be in his lap. Staring at her face, the look of peace seems to just emanate from her. He strokes her hair and continues to cry.

"Sarah, I hope you can still hear me. I love you with all my being. I wanted nothing more for you to be with me. It's okay, you rest now and in the next life we will meet again. When we do, I will not let you go for eternity. I love you Sarah, Illiandra, Brandon. I love you." Derik says as he hangs his head down with his forehead touching hers with tears streaming.

At that moment the ambulance stops and he kisses her forehead. He gets up as the medics and doctors wheel her away. A doctor helps him out of the ambulance so they can take care of his shoulder. He was walking slowly and defeated.

Derik seemed to be doing things on complete autopilot. No expression comes to his face. When he is answering the doctor's questions, his voice is monotone. Derik just gave up.

Upon finishing getting his wound bandaged up he overhears a small conversation.

"Has her family been notified?" a man says.