Chapter 6

With Pacwar a week behind, things start to return to normal. Saturday comes around again and Derik is hoping that Sarah will be there. She has not missed a week in three months. When Derik arrives early, only a few people are on the field doing quick battle drills. He unpacks his car and sits in the chair he brought with him.

Derik looks at the time on his phone hoping that she would show up early. As time passes, more people start to show up until time for the day to start. Derik looks at his phone one last time before he gets up and walks towards the woods. Looking at his phone his background changes to a picture of him and Sarah at Rosewood.

Derik starts to daydream about his memory:

After their first kiss, Derik sits and talks with Sarah. Their relationship was important to Derik and he did not even care who she was or what she used to be. To Derik, she was Sarah and she was perfect. Her hands were warm like a summer's day. He could not help but smile at her.

After a little bit of talking about what they like and dislike, they both got up to take a walk. They were holding hands with fingers entwined with each other. He looks around talking about the tournament he was in. He was boasting about placing first place out of everyone there.

As he was looking around he could not help but notice Jee Hae hanging about. It was not the first time on their walk that he spotted her. He did not want to spoil his mood so he passed it off as a coincidence. They came to a pond where they sat down talking about each other's lives out of Amtgard.

Derik revealed he was an interpreter for the US government. He knew eleven different languages and was working on a twelfth. His job was mostly just helping when someone needed an interpreter at an office. However, there were times that new paperwork came out and he had to transcribe the paperwork for them.

Sarah revealed to Derik that she was a marketing executive for a firm that had offices around the states. Her specialty was marketing on digital platforms such as Television and the Internet. She was good at what she did and she would not give it up for anything. She revealed to him she was frightened what would happen if someone did find out about her.

Derik had his arm around her holding her tight. His words to her were that even if something did happen, he would always be there for her. She laid her head on his shoulder as they both stared at the lake. After a little while, Sarah kissed him on the cheek making Derik smile.

Derik comes out of his daze looking at his phone. He presses the two key auto dialing her number. As he expected it went straight to voicemail again. This time he is going to leave a voicemail.

Sarah, I do not know if you are even listening to my messages. I came to the park today to see you but you are not here. I feel broken inside without you. I came to your house and you were not there. You did not pick up your dog from the Kennel so he is at my place. I am worried about you please call me and tell me you are ok.

He hangs up the phone and tears are rolling down his face. He keeps going over in his head what has happened that she would take off like she did. He looks around to see everyone having a good time. Jee Hae seems to be over near the field. He cannot help but think she had something to do with it but with no proof he cannot find out what.

A few Saturdays drifted by as Derik seemed to call Sarah four times a day every day leaving a voicemail. He was devastated that it seemed she had abandoned him. If it was not for the slight chance to see Sarah, he would not even show up to Amtgard.

In the few weeks that passed, nothing seemed to change for anyone else. Derik comes onto the field checking on the players then looks to the crafters and the roleplayers. Jee Hae showed up for the first time in a couple of weeks as well. Derik did feel remorseful for the way he treated her.