Chapter 14

River's POV

I watched the bus for what felt like forever. The doors slowly opened. I began to feel my heart start to race. Come on Rilynn. Please be okay.

I watched as the people emerged from the bus. One by one. I saw the little girl from the hospital. She looked like she had been starved for weeks. I saw Colby walk out. His head low like before. "Colby!" I called out to him. He looked at me. He turned towards me. His arm was in a black sling. He had a black eye and a cut on his lip. He walked towards me with a limp. "Have you seen Rilynn? Was she on the bus?" He shook his head while looking back at the ground. My heart sank. Where is she? Why wasn't she on the bus with everyone else.

I heard more sirens from the distance. I watched as a squad car pulled into the parking lot. I looked to the back seat to see the all familiar blonde hair. I ran to the car. She slung the door open. I embraced my sister as if it were the last time I would see her. I felt her hot tears on my shirt. "I thought i was never going to see you again." I cried.

"I'm here. Don't cry." She pulled away from me and wiped the tears from my cheek. "Everything's okay now."

Rilynn's POV

I looked past River. I saw Colby and Hadley standing next to an officer. I ran to Hadlee and hugged her. "Thank you for saving me."

"What are best friends for?" I laughed at her silly response. I hugged her again.

"I'm sorry for not telling you about being depressed. It's just after everything that happened with Jake I couldn't stand to be alive. I just wanted to stop hurting." I felt the lump in my throat get bigger and bigger with each word. She wrapped her arms around me.

"It's okay. I don't blame you. I probably couldn't have brought myself to tell you either." I tear slipped out onto her cheek.

"Are you alright Rilynn? Your brother River has been a very responsible young man. Not many people would have had the guts to come down and make a scene about their sister being in trouble." The officer spoke to me. I nodded and smiled.

"I'm okay. Just a little shaken up is all. I lost track of time being held in that cell. I was starting to lose hope. I thought for sure that y'all wouldn't believe him." I looked back at River. He was talking to Colby. I then looked at Colby. He looked awful. If I had known that he was going to be this hurt then I wouldn't have suggested the plan. I held my arms out or him. He hugged me. I felt a tingling in my stomach.

"I'm so happy you're okay." He said to me.

"Me? Colby look at you. You have a black eye and a broken arm. You could have been killed." I looked into his deep blue eyes. He chuckled at the thought of it as he pulled me back into his chest. I pulled away from him and looked back into his eyes. "Where are you going to live?" I asked quietly.

"Doesn't matter. All that matters is that you're safe." He touched my cheek and began to lean down. Is he going to kiss me? My heart began to beat out of my chest. I took a small step back.

"River, where are mom and dad? Do they know what happened?" I looked to him. He just shook his head no. I turned back to Colby who looked a little sad that I stepped away from him. "Do you want to stay with us for a few days?" He looked a little taken back. "At least until you can find a place of your own or something." He looked back at the ground.

"I can't. It's not safe." Not safe? What is that supposed to mean? Two minutes ago he was going to kiss me and now he doesn't want to be near me. What the hell?

"Well if you're going to be like that then fine. I didn't want you to stay with us anyway." I turned around swiftly. "Hadlee, will you please take me and River home? I think that I will be better off without getting my heart shattered by some broken little boy." I walked to her car. Not caring if I hurt Colby's feelings. I climbed into the back seat of the car and watched as the blue eyed boy disappeared in the side view mirror.