Home

They say the world gets brighter when you fall in love......

When his parents said 'we're moving to Washington state', Kiku thought they meant Seattle. He didn't expect to be living in a small town with rolling hills and farms next to forests. It was the middle of summer, making the grass turn yellow. Birds sang non stop throughout the drive.

When his parents turned onto a dirt road lined with trees, he questioned whether he would ever get used to this new home. The house was two stories with fading blue paint. A little ways down from his house he could make out the neighbors house. Never had he thought of a place more spacious.

Yawning, Niko dragged himself out of the car. He picked up his stuffed animal lion and carried it like a baby. Kiku followed his brother inside. The floorboards creaked under their feet and voices echoed off of walls.

"You two can go ahead and pick your rooms," their father said.

Niko grinned and ran up the stairs. Kiku looked a bit unsure, but still followed. Niko picked the first room he saw. Kiku peeked through each door, but none of the rooms seemed to speak to him. They all had the same bland, boxy feeling to it.

When he got to the end, a huge room with a large window seemed like the one. The ceilings were tilted inward like an attic. Beams and pillars lined the room. There were lots of places to use as storage.

It was perfect.

_________________________

"I'm tired."

A little boy with curly blonde hair clung to his brother. It was a cold night, and the two boys decided to run away again.

"We're almost there!" His twin said.

"I wanna go home...."

"Dad doesn't want us back Matthew. You heard him earlier."

"Still," Matthew whined.

"He practically shoved us out the door! And you wanna go back?!"

"Alfred..." Matthew started crying.

"Don't, don't cry. I'll start cry-crying too," Alfred felt tears form in his eyes.

"Are you boys alright?" A small blond man said. Both boys shook their heads.

"Where are your parents?"

"No. No," Alfred shook his head.

"Alright, where are you from?"

They pointed south. The man seemed to come to some realization.

"So you're their brothers. Come with me. I'll take you to them,"

"You know Lukas?!" Matthew got excited.

"Yes, I'm his guardian."

"Cool!" Alfred said.

They followed the man to a two story house. Snow dusted the ground. The distant sound of music echoed over the porch. Colorful lights wrapped around the house. A snowman sat by the road to greet guests. It would truly be home.

———————-
Notes:

- "they say the world gets brighter when you fall in love." A reference to Your Lie In April (which I'm currently watching).
-it takes place in Washington because I know the place well. I haven't decided if it's in a particular town yet, but it's in a small(er) town.
- anyone who's lived there knows you can have lakes across from farms across from forests across from parks across from the sound. Literally.
- lots of dirt roads that connect neighbors. And two story houses.
- Niko is Niko Niko (the micronation). Kiku is Japan.
- I always thought that Kiku would love having a spacious room (if he had to go western style).
- Alfred is America and Matthew is Canada. They're twins in this story, but Matthew is older.
- obviously some problems with the dad.
- they are Lukas's half brothers on their mothers side.
- "no. No." From the time that I've spent with little kids I find for some, when they're upset at least, will repeat words to get their point across.
- kids will either be very trusting or not at all.