Playing with hearts

"Morning, Lovi!" Gilbert leaned against the door frame, grinning like an idiot.

"Hi." Lovino shoved past him.

"Wow, you look good today," Gilbert commented, quickly following.

"Hey, are you sure you should be driving?" Lovino asked.

"I'm not that sick," Gilbert said with a nervous chuckle. Lovino just gave him a worried look before getting in the car.

"So, what's the plan for today?" Gilbert asked as he turned on the car.

"School. You need to buckle." Lovino stared out the window.

"I mean after that."

"Homework, I guess...."

"But it's your easy day," Gilbert whined.

"Pay attention," Lovino said, Gilbert slamming on the breaks.

"Shit. That was close." He caught his breath. "Hey, Lovi. If something's wrong.... just, just tell me."

"Why are you here?" Lovino muttered. His hand went up, resting his head on it. "Shouldn't you be in the hospital or at home?"

"It's too lonely." Gilbert frowned. He reached over and grabbed Lovino's hand, the other jumping a bit in surprise. "Relax. I'm not gonna bite."

"I know." Lovino finally turned his face towards Gilbert, scowling.

The rest of the ride was silent as they made their way through school traffic. Between the busses and careless driving teens, it was almost impossible to find a good parking spot. Lovino unbuckled and scooped up his bag. But Gilbert didn't let go of his hand. In fact, he raised Lovino's hand to his lips, a playful smile dancing across his face, violet-red eyes staring at Lovino's red face.

"Have a great day," he sang.

"You too, bast-" He was cut off by slamming the door. Gilbert smiled. Boy, was he in love.

Lovino let his hair fall into his face in an attempt to hide it. A face full of red and a shy smile to accompany it.

"What'cha smiling 'bout?" Lovino jumped. Alfred stood next to him, stuffing a blueberry muffin in his mouth.

"None of your business," Lovino said, adjusting his backpack.

"Jeez, does no one wanna gossip!" Alfred threw up his hands.

"Why do you of all people want to gossip..."

"I'm bored."

"Well then, good luck with that." Lovino tried to walk ahead but Alfred grabbed his wrist and dragged him into an empty closet.

"What do you want?!" Lovino wanted to smack him.

"I kissed him," Alfred whispered. Lovino just frowned.

"Good for you for coming out of the closet. Now can we get out of this one?"

"Please Lovi?" Alfred begged him.

"Fine. Talk about your boyfriend." Lovino waved for him to continue.

"That's just it. He rejected me," Alfred said. "I swear, he likes me. He said so himself. And he told me why he rejected me! But now he's avoiding me! Why?! What did I do!?" Alfred put his head in his hands.

"He's probably still processing it," Lovino sighed, glancing at the door. "Just leave him be for now.... by the way, this is Kiku, right?"

"Did, did I not say...." Alfred looked up.

The bell rang. Lovino opened the door and left. Alfred walked to class with his head down, still questioning his life.

.........

Kiku sat in the back of his honors class, listening to the teacher lecture about proper grammar. Apparently being in an honors class didn't make you smart. Just struggle more.

He glanced to the side. Arthur Kirkland, an acquaintance he met after being told to sit in the back with him, wasn't even bothering with taking notes. The man was smart, but thought school was beneath him. He slid a note towards Kiku.

Have you told him?

Kiku tensed. He wrote back:

More like he told me... I refused.

Why? Arthur quickly responded.

I'm too nervous.

Fine. There's a Christmas party at Antonio's. Lovino's friend. I'm sure you'll both get invited so you can try again then. I can help, too.

Thanks.

Kiku looked back up at the board, quickly jotting down a few more things before packing up. The bell rang and he smiled. Maybe he was more ready than he thought.

———-

Notes

- Lovi And Gilbert being all flirty is fun
- school traffic sucks! Especially in winter.
- every single time I opened this up to write Harry Potter would be on and I'd get distracted. Honestly, this whole month was just wizards.
- Arthur is England
- I might have introduced him due to watching too much of those movies
- anyways thanks for reading!