He gets it from you

Winter break would be coming to a close, and the new year began. Kiku was eating eggs on Saturday morning, wondering if Alfred liked the little gift. It wasn't much, just a book on photography. Alfred always talked about wanting to make photos that would make even the best Instagram models jealous. He just needed to learn how. Sure, he could just text him and ask, but Alfred was sick and he didn't want to sound impatient.

Light kept shining in his face, so Kiku adjusted his seat. A strong minty scent from the leftover holiday candy made him wish for snow. Sadly, he had to wait a few weeks for snowmageddon. Nico walked in the room, yawning like always.

"You should really go to bed earlier," Kiku said, watching his brother pour coffee.

"You're one to talk." Nico gave Him a tired glare.

"I have homework to do! And don't be rude."

Nico had been bitter since they moved. Always tired, always alone. He didn't talk as much, nor did he eat with them. Strange, considering he used to always be more social.

"You sound like mom," Nico grumbled as he stormed off, not even bothering to eat breakfast.

Kiku let out a worried sigh. What can you do? He thought.

............

Alfred stared at it. It had been laying by his bed since the party. It was a nice thing Kiku got him. He wanted so badly to read it, but was afraid he'd ruin it. Grabbing his glasses, Alfred sat up and stretched. He shuffled down stairs and grabbed a cup of water, wondering what the others were doing.

Natalia said she was visiting Ukraine with her sister and father. Lovino and Feliciano would spend the holidays with some relatives of Erzsébet's. And Kiku, he didn't know what the boy was up to. He never said a thing. A smile crept onto his face as he fantasized Kiku walking through the front door and hugging him, asking that he never let go. It was cheesy, but he couldn't help it. Alfred just loved Kiku too much.

Someone did come through the front door, but it wasn't Kiku. Emil was back from a camping trip. The younger of the four brothers, Emil was always trying his best to stand out. He bleached his hair and wore red-violet contacts, yet failed to look intimidating. He looked closer to Lukas, was as quiet as Matthew, and could be just as irritating as Alfred.

"Welcome home. How was camp?" Alfred asked.

"Fine." Emil dropped his bags on the floor. "The counselor kept talking about how we needed to get out more. We only ever went inside to sleep!"

"Yikes. Anything good?"

"I guess the fresh air was nice. I'm gonna unpack. Later." Emil scooped up his bags and ran upstairs.

Maybe I need a bit of fresh air, too, Alfred thought as he headed out the door.

Despite the cold temperature, the sun shined. He sat down, staring at the trees swaying. Down the road he could see the top of Kiku's house. Smiling, Alfred silently wished he could get better.

                              -—————-

Stumbling up the road, Kiku ran to Alfred's. He just got a text from him. Something about it being urgent.

"Al-Alfred! What's wrong!?" He yelled in worry.

"Nothing. I just wanted to know what kind of gift you want." Alfred smiled. Kiku felt his cheeks burn.

"What?"

"Yea, well, your birthdays coming up and Christmas just ended so I wanna, y'know, get you something." When Kiku laughed, Alfred jumped up in surprise. "Was that wrong?"

"No, no," Kiku tried to say through his tears. "I just thought it was something serious."

"But this is serious. I gotta know what you want." Alfred grabbed the blue sleeveof his jacket, worry in his eyes.

"Alfred," Kiku said, the giggles finally fading away. "All I want is for you to feel better."

"I already am," Alfred said, quieter this time.

"Good," Kiku just barely whispered. He then grabbed Alfred's neck and brought their heads closer. "I was worried sick. Don't ever do that again."

"Get sick?" Confusion flashed across his face.

"No." Kiku let his eyes glance at Alfred's lips. "Just don't be an idiot and go to parties when your sick like that."

"Well, now I guess I gotta find you a new gift," Alfred said, heart pounding.

"I'll think about i-"

"I didn't know you had a thing for the neighbor!" Kiku quickly shoved Alfred back. Emil, with half his body hanging out the window, stared down at them in surprise.

"Don't you have clothes to unpack!" Alfred shouted back.

"You're not denying it." Emil pulled himself back into his room before Alfred could say anything else. Kiku looked at Alfred like he was waiting for him to say something.

"Sorry," Alfred mumbled. " he's kind of a dumbass."

Kiku walked over and pecked him on the cheek. "He gets it from you."

——-
Notes

- new semester got me really busy.
- I also am in a photography class which is neat
- Kiku's family makes a bigger deal about New Years than Christmas, so Kiku wasn't expecting Alfred to want to get him something
- Emil is Iceland
- trying to work Nico in a little more. I want him to become an important character but need to work on it.
- Emil is only a year younger than Alfred. They aren't technically related. Alfred's mom is Lukas's mom, Lukas's dad is Emil's dad.
- Kiku was really close to confessing
- thanks for reading! Happy Valentine's Day too!