Chapter 3

-•-
  I sat on my porch, staring at the hammocks swaying in the wind.
  I recalled the last leisurely conversation with Jeff I'd had, swinging on the hammocks like idiots, seeing who'd swing the highest or hit the ceiling.

'Hey, Ashley?'

'Yeah, Jeff?'

'If I disappeared, what would you do?'

  I snorted in laughter as I watched the snow flakes settling on the hammocks.  
Trust that madman to bring something like that up in he middle of a peaceful moment, with no thoughts of war imminent.
  I got up to stretch and also get a cup of coffee. When I got inside, I gasped.

  Jeff was sitting on my velvet recliner, fiddling with his knife.
  He flinched as the knife slid through his thumb pad, releasing drops of blood onto my couch.

  'What do you want?'

-•-

  I sat at Dee's bedside, trying fan her to keep her temperature down. Nothing worked- the ice, the air conditioner.

  I was starting to think that she was pulling a prank, but that was impossible. All childishness had long since leaked out of her due to the imminent war and the large responsibility of a company and a nation's growth and care taking places on her shoulders.
  Even 5 years ago at a young 16, she knew not to overstep her lines.
  I sighed as I remembered her always chattering away next to me or bursting into laughter randomly. I missed those pre-war days.

  I remembered that on one particularly bright autumn afternoon when we were both 15, we ran into the orchards surrounding our village out of sheer boredom. We'd built a treehouse out of felled trees, rope and a tall tree. I wondered if it was still standing.

-•-

  Jeff was too deep in that golden afternoon that he didn't feel Delta's finger twitch.

-•-

I ran into the orchards behind Jeff, lugging a couple coils of rope while he lugged a saw and nails and a hammer along.

'Come on, Dee! Or are you too tired?', he'd teased me, just as he'd slammed into a tree.

I'd burst into laughter, just as I tripped on a stone.

We'd lay there for awhile, on the leaf-carpeted orchard ground, just laughing before we got up.

3 hours later, we'd completed the treehouse. It was pretty basic- a wooden floor held up by three strong branches that Jeff tested out by jumping on and then falling off, a sort of thatched roof that I'd made from palm trees and a railing. There was a rope ladder trailing down a gap in the railing.

We moved a couple cushions and blankets there and stayed the night.

Right before we went to bed, Jeff caught a couple fireflies and put them in a jar.

'There! Now I'll always have some way to remember you.'

'How so?'

'Cause this light reminds me of how brightly you shine in my world. When I need to think about you, I'll think about tonight.'

'That's so sweet! Thanks Jeff!'

-•-

The young man watched the girl fall into a deep sleep, despairing for her wellbeing and their relationship.

What he did not notice was how closely the yrukuge would watch them.

And how they nearly took her from him.

(A/N: the yrukuge are FAKE. They are a made-up thing. I based them off of the hollowghast from miss peregrines story. Basically, they look like bleached versions or negative-colour pictures of the previously living. If they consume enough blood or entrails, they transform into kryuguke. They're like the elite hit squad of the wraith world, but if you manage to capture one and domesticate it, it will readily follow your orders.
Both kryuguke and yrukuge are immune to everything except for music.)

-•-

  I groaned as I rolled straight out of my dorm bed and onto the floor. Today was a Friday, which meant no school.
  I was gonna dig up every single nugget, bit or bob of Sarah Blue and Delta Williams even if that meant I couldn't meet up with my boyfriend Zachary.

Zachary stalked into the library, where o was feverishly researching and writing down notes.
'Hey, babe. What up?'
I looked up and hummed. 'Nothing much... just searching up stuff.'
He looked over my shoulder and smiled. 'About Sarah Blue? I can tell you a couple things about her.'

I looked at him in surprise. 'You can?'

He started off on the sourest note possible, because Zachary.
'She's killed over 602 people in 15 years with a collapsible knife disguised as a whisk.'

-•-

  I hummed as I strolled down my house's central corridor. It had been 4 years since I'd been "discovered" by Slendy and had been asked to move in.
  Once I'd discovered that Jeff was living here, I'd happily agreed.

  For my prince.

(A/N:HaH you people liking the story so far? If you're confused I'll explain.
There was a war 5 years ago from the present in which Halves and Ashley went missing. Nina moves in 1 year after, and started dating Jeff. Halves was found a few years after the war, but was sick since her throat wasn't treated. So Ashley was abducted by EJ who thought Halves was dead, and then Halves found her own way back to the village.
I'm writing this next bit in 3rd person.)

-•-

  The yrukuge grinned as it watched the girl's heart monitor falter. It was nearly time.

It winced and fled when the boy put a record onto the gramophone in the corner.

'Remember this song, Dee? We would sing to this. Remember?'

The girl shifted, but did not answer. How could she, when she couldn't speak or move?

-•-

I gasped. 'Zachary. This is important. Stop messing around!'
He frowned at me and huffed. 'Fine. But it's true! I searched up her criminal record. But damn she's pretty!' I glared at him.
'Sometimes I wonder if you even love me, Zach.'

He cooed at me. 'Ith ickle Alexith angwy with her boyfwend?'

I laughed and flicked him on the forehead. 'Bitch.'

He whined as I scraped my chair back and stretched. 'How could you, Alexis? That hurt!!!'
I turned to scowl at him. 'What if it was meant to hurt?' I started laughing at his confused pikachu face.

I laughed so hard that I fell over.

But little did I know that the kryuguke were watching me from the shadows.

-•-

A/N: I'm so sorry!!!! Three author's notes in one chapter. The end is nigh...

But I hope I explained it well enough.

Bai!!!!