Chapter 22

"You know, you're quite the hero, Mr. Foust." Adam smiles as he gets everything ready for the arrival of Rob and Mr. Rucker.

"Oh, I just did what I thought needed to be done." Tim shrugs as he watches Adam hurrying around dusting, straightening things and cleaning whatever needed cleaning.

"You're too humble. Because of you, Darius Rucker can have a life. Possibly married and with children. If you didn't save his great-great-grandfather from your dad, then Charlie Rucker probably would have died a slave." Adam says.

"You keep on, you're going to give the old cowboy a big head." Austin says, rolling his eyes.

"Well, he needs to know how important what he did was." Adam says, glancing around at the two spirits sitting at the table watching him work his ass off. "Wait. Why aren't you two helping me?"

"I didn't know that we were supposed to be." Tim says innocently.

"Yeah, the place looks fine." Austin shrugs.

"Are the beds made?" Adam asks as he wipes off the kitchen counter.

"They are unless you messed them up. We don't sleep." Tim answers, slightly shaking his head, still watching his lover.

"Good point. What about your room, Austin? What does it look like?" Adam asks, turning to the younger spirit.

"Like an F-5 tornado went through but why in the hell would he be in my room?" Austin replies with a light chuckle.

"What if I want to give him a tour of the house?" Adam asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Why would you want to do that?" Tim asks with furrowed brows.

Adam huffs as he pulls out a chair and sits down between the two spirits.

"Humour me, okay? Work with me here?" Adam says. "This is a very big deal to Mr. Rucker." Adam adds, looking at one spirit and then the other. "And for the love of God, do NOT be making any haunted sounds or whatever you guys call it. Please, behave yourselves."

"Why, Mr. Rupp, you sound to me like you don't trust us." Austin says, laying a hand on his chest and putting on his best shocked expression.

"After what you guys pulled during Chance and Sami's first visit? No, I don't trust you, Mr. Brown." Adam says, raising a brow at the younger spirit.

"Oh. I forgot about that." Austin chuckles.

"You have my word, Adam. No hauntings." Tim smiles as he turns to the younger spirit. "Right, Austin?"

"I guess." Austin pouts.

"I guess, ain't the answer I'm looking for. I'll repeat the question. Right, Austin?" Tim asks, arching a brow.

"I promise to be a good little spirit. No noises." Austin slouches in his seat.

"Great. Now, go clean your room." Adam says, getting up from his chair to continue his cleaning.

Tim hangs his head and chuckles as Austin stomps out of the room like an overbearing teenager.

~~

"Remember what I said." Adam reminds the two spirits who were standing side by side like innocent children in the parlor. He stops at the door and straightens his clothes and quickly checks his hair in the mirror.

The two spirits look at each other, shaking their heads and rolling their eyes.

"Hi, Adam." Rob says as the blonde opens the door. Behind the historian was a black man with a friendly smile.