Chapter IX

LUKE

Music: Stage 8A arrangement from Gradius Galaxies

I woke up to the sound of feet rustling. At first, I thought nothing of it. Then, I looked around and noticed that everyone else was still asleep.

Which meant someone else had arrived.

And I had a gut feeling it wasn't a someone we wanted to see.

I woke everybody up, and told them, "I heard something from nearby. We should probably be going-"

Then Envy, my lookalike, popped out of nowhere and yelled, "GOTCHA, BITCH!"

Elle screamed and immediately broke into a sprint. The rest of us followed without question. The rest of the Sins appeared from their hiding spots and joined Envy in the pursuit.

"DON'T FUCKING RUN AWAY FROM US!" Wrath yelled, throwing a fist our way.

Quick thing I want to say about Elle- damn, that girl can run. She kept a very quick pace going, making it hard for the rest of us to keep up with her. I found myself falling behind everyone else and losing my breath very quickly. I realized then that I didn't have my inhaler with me, so I fell to the ground, giving up on running.

Then the Sins surrounded me, all with evil smiles on their faces. "You shouldn't have tried to run away, Luke," Gluttony said to me. "Once we take you all back, it'll be hell from there on out."

"No," I replied. "Take me. Leave them alone. I'll do anything for you. Just don't hurt my friends."

The Sins looked at each other, surprised. From far away, I heard Shanna yell, "LUKE! DON'T DO IT!" but I didn't care.

Finally, the Sins looked at me once again, and Envy snickered, "If that's what you want." Then Lust and Pride grabbed me tightly by the arms and slammed me back-first into the ground, and then Greed wrapped a sock around my mouth, gagging me. Finally, Envy gave me a hard knuckle to the head, and everything went dark.

---

Music: The King of Diamonds from Nemesis 3 MSX

I am inside my own head. All around me, I see signs that something is not right. Suddenly, Envy's face appears through my vision, and I gasp. He cackles wickedly, and then sneers, "What a fool you are, Luke! You never should've given yourself up."

I was going to ask what he meant, but then I realized Envy probably couldn't hear me anyways. Then he said, "You've got the biggest amount of powerful energy out of everyone in your little group. And now, thanks to your body, we can brainwash you and use you and your power to our greatest advantage!" Envy cackled once more, and then, I cried. I cried because I knew I was dead. Even if I wasn't, I was dead.