Chapter 8

I waited. For the pain. For the rush of adrenaline you're supposed to feel as soon as a bullet hits your body. For the memories to flash in the back of your mind before you die. But those feelings never came. Because Beau didn't shoot me.

"We need to leave now."

He grabbed my arm as I still shook looking to ground, at the group of people I'd seen once alive, and now lay there ; dead and lifeless in a pool of blood.

"B-Beau why."

We were headed towards my house and opened the door. Ignoring my question, Beau yelled

"Yammouni!" throughout the house.

James rushed down and as soon as he saw me bleeding he grabbed Beau.

"How dare you fucking do this to her."

Then he threw a punch at Beau. And Beau didn't hesitate to throw one back.

"Stop!" I screamed, but they didn't.

"He didn't do this to me!"

I said throwing myself in between them and pushing them off each other as hard as I could

They froze breathlessly. James had a fresh bruise beginning to form on his eye, and Beau had one on his right cheek.

"What happened Victoria."

There he goes. The questions that never are really questions, more like non- optional demands.

"I saw them James. The ones from the park. They- they hurt us again."

He let out a heavy sigh quickly engulfing me into a tight embrace. Nobody said a word and Beau sat there holding his head. He held his head higher, and with the fresh scrapes and blood on his face he banged his hand on the table.

"I can't believe I let this fucking happen."

And with that, he opened and slammed the door.

James and I sat there, dumbfounded and lacking emotion. All that was going through my head were those constant voices repetitively asked if Beau had really left this time. I went upstairs to my room, leaving James down stairs. I sulked on the edge of my bed. I decided to let him cool down for a while.

I went to the bathroom to wash my face of the blood stains and small gashes I had embedded on my bruised complexion. Everything hurt terribly, but not as much as seeing Beau the way I saw him tonight.

I was too scared to comfort him, or even hold him for a while. And even though I knew he was aware of that, I still felt guilty. He had always told me how he never had anybody, but when I came along, I was his somebody. I intended to be his somebody no matter the situation.

I dried my face, and some of the now damp hair that had come into contact with the warm faucet water. With those thoughts floating in the corners of my mind, I waited until James fell asleep, and went out the front door.