XLIII

The doctor walked ahead, his white coat slightly moving, "fortunately someone found her and immediately called 911."

Lucas was silent, and Sam winced inwardly as she felt the pain, anger, and distress in his silence.

She felt herself examine every letter of his sadness, every slight word of uncertainty weighing on his slouched shoulders.

He was intimidated, his fingers seemed weak, anxious to touch the door handle.

"I'll wait here." Sam grabbed the hem of shirt, giving him a reassuring smile. She knew it was the best thing to do, he needed time alone with his mom.

His eyes widen, then he fully turned to her.

"You'll be okay..." she grabbed the other side of his shirt, staring at his eyes as they gazed down at her. And this was what broke her the most, the sad look in his eyes. The sorrow that flashed in his iris, that alluded fear.

"Lucas..." a voice, raspy and weary calls out.

When had the door opened?

Her eyes landed on the frail woman standing in a gown. Two nurses holding her by the arms.

"Ma'am, you shouldn't be-"

The woman's eyes widen in woe. They briefly landed on Sam, but soon made their way towards the boy. "L-lucas honey..." her voice cracked, her fingers reaching out to him.

He stood, silently. He didn't turn back. His eyes remained fixed on Sam.

She once again, smiled.

You'll be okay.

And it's as if he understood because he inhaled, and exhaled with a small nod.

Lucas didn't glance at his mom, he silently sauntered past her and went inside the room.

She gives Sam one last, peculiar stare before retreating back inside. The doctor and the nurses follow, while Sam leans against the wall. The door closed, leaving Sam feel slightly scared.

She slid down until she was crouched and hugged her knees.

She reminisced when he was alone in the school hallway, his impassiveness, his sullen gaze.

She reminisced his apartment, the emptiness.

He left home to get away from the loneliness and emptiness, only to come face to face with it outside his home as well.

How tough it must have been when everyone taunted him. 

When he was compelled to lock his emotions and isolate himself.

She set her eyes on the door.

The doctor and the nurse came out, ostensibly perplexed, unconsciously leaving the door slightly open.

They stare at Sam, giving her a curt nod, and then walk down the corridor.

She gripped her knees tightly, and shortly after she heard a familiar voice—a broken, hurt, loud familiar voice inside.

Sam stood up quickly. She was quivering a bit.

"W-why?....why?"

Sam should leave.

"Lucas, hun—"

She should leave.

"You....— you don't love me enough to stop?"

But she couldn't, hearing his words. His loud words. Hearing every pain, and every dismal tremble in his voice.

She couldn't.