Chapter Nine

I stared out the window of Ian's car as my mind still saw the rage and unfeeling eyes of my Grandmother. All I could feel from her was nothing. No real emotion. Was she really heartless and empty inside?

Thinking back to every time I was around her growing up, I felt the same thing. Or rather I felt nothing from her. No love. No pride. No anything at all. I had just chalked it up to being one of the most powerful witches that walked the early. But what if it was more? What if she really had no heart at all?

Gasping, I grabbed the handle to the door as the car jerked sideways. Fear didn't enter into my heart or mind, just shock at his abrupt shift on the road. Especially when he slammed on the break. I would never feel fear when Ian was driving.

Whipping my head over to him, he was staring at me with a very intense look on his face. His face looked devoid of emotion, but his eyes said it all. "Tell me what's wrong?" His arms folded over his chest.

A deep sigh. "Sorry."

His intensity softened and his arms drooped a bit. "There's nothing to be sorry about." He moved his right arm and cupped my cheek in his hand. "You're just projecting sorrow."

Closing my eyes, I hated the fact that he could feel sorrow from me when I was around him. Leaning my cheek more in his hand, I breathed in his strength. I felt it wrap around my soul and eased the pain I was feeling.

"Better." Opening my eyes, he smiled as he pulled me to him. A soft gentle kiss made all that I was thinking fade away for now. I knew my mind will just think about my Grandmother later at a random time, but for now, he had all my attention.

He pulled back and put the car in drive. As he pulled back out on the road, I slipped my hand in his where it rested on the gear shift. His thumb rubbing the side of my hand as he drove. I smiled loving the feeling of his hand in mine like we'd been like this for years.

The rest of the drive was uneventful. My mind didn't wander in the slightest to my Grandmother. The only wandering that happened within my mind was to where we were headed. The home of Alpha Mooney and the childhood home of the King of the Wolves. Though they didn't live there and had their own home, the King and Queen both were there just as much as they were home. Or so Ian had told me being the captain of their security force, he would be the perfect person to know their habits.

Most of the King and Queen's family will be there too. This will be the first time I would be meeting most of them. They had become family for Ian and I just hoped they liked me. He assured me that they could not like me the instant they met me. He pointed out that Nina and her husband both liked me to which I pointed out that they hadn't spent time with me.

The drive to the Mooney house took us about forty-five minutes from my place. He was only ten minutes from the Queen and King's home. He had to be in case something happened. I kind of was nervous knowing that I lived so close to the royal's and that they could be at my favorite restaurant at any time when they are in town to be normal.

Ian had made me aware that Alpha Mooney had one of the biggest families in all their kind. Alpha Mooney had and still is one of the strongest Alphas in all the world. Having kept his territory the safest for so long before the wolves civil war. He was able to have so many children of his own and take on so many because of his ability to keep them safe.

I wasn't fully sure how I was going to feel while being there with potentially a town worth of people all around. Children running around and people talking all over the place. Around humans had always got to me with their confusing emotions all the time. Most humans had selfish emotions swirling around them and critiquing everyone all the time. How they could ever come together was beyond me. Too often, they were tearing themselves and every one around them all the time. Most witches were selfless and wanted to help mend people's pain however they were allowed. In the end, healing the world through our actions and gifts.