| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀ

{ ɴᴏ ᴍᴀᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴡʜᴀᴛ }

| Lily |

After the seemingly long and rather dramatic day, we're finally dismissed. I bid my quick goodbyes to Anne and Diana who hurry along with each other, sharing their walk home. Seems I've become invisible already. With a gentle sigh, I pack the rest of my things and start to head out. Abruptly, I feel a tight and sudden grip on my arm. I turn only to meet the harsh glare of Josie Pye.

"Josie! What are you doing?" I exclaim, clearly frightened by her aggravated gesture. The other students have all left, leaving me trapped in the schoolhouse with the rest of the girls.

"You should know better than to converse with Gilbert Blythe," she spat, "everyone saw you two during class. And you can't just keep ignoring us. You- you have no place here!" Ripping my arm away from her with a huff I run away, cowardly again, collecting my coat and scarf my way out.

| Gilbert |

I lean against the schoolhouse's outer walls waiting rather impatiently for Lily to come out. I must admit to myself that I do pity her in a way, but she mystifies me beyond measure. Curiosity is driving me to get to know her, that and my attraction towards her. I understand now why she didn't answer any of my questions. Maybe she just wants to be normal. And then there's Billy Andrews. I know how he enjoys tormenting people just because. And I don't know why I went to stop him, but as soon as I saw her face, I knew I made the right choice. It angers me how people like Billy can get away with tormenting her for something completely out of her control. No one talks that way about my father, I don't see how it's any different. I can tell the harsh words bother her. The look in her eyes when they're spoken says it all, even if she doesn't show it. I guess I'm kind of scatter-brained at the moment. Didn't know my day was going to end up being this thought-provoking. All because she decided to come back.

The door to the schoolhouse opens abruptly and out pours Lily Grant racing down the steps. Without hesitation, I begin to run after her.

"Lily!" I call out, "wait." Her running slows as she comes to a stop.

"You never answered my question," I say once reaching her. But then she faces me. She's obviously distraught. Eyes watery and out of breath. Something's wrong. As if the day hadn't been dramatic already.

"Fine," she snaps, "I'm not okay Gilbert." She continues walking away, but I only follow her further.

"I-I'm sorry,"

"No, it- it's not your fault. Look I don't think it's a good idea for us to talk okay?" She speaks again, shocking me with her statement.

"Why?" I retort with a scoff, I turn to see the other girls leaving the schoolhouse, clearly giving Lily glares, "Because of something Josie Pye said? Do you really care about what she thinks?"