| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

{ ɢʟᴀss }

| Lily |

I hate my bed. It like this house has served as a comfortable cage for the last five years and now I want nothing to do with it. But now I've been confined to it. John Blythe's funeral was host to the worst event of my life. I can still hear Gilbert's words just before the incident as if things couldn't get any worse. I cried myself to sleep last night and even now tears brim my tired eyes. I'll probably do the same thing tonight. I don't cry because I'm devastated that he pushed me away although I am devastated. I cry because I know that he's right. I'm a ticking time bomb.

"Anne?" Mini-mae, Diana's younger sister spoke up, while we all watched, "you're crying on the potatoes." I took this as my opportunity to get up and approach my saddened friend.

"What's the matter, Anne?" I asked softly, rubbing her arm comfortingly.

"I never even imagined your pain," she cried, "everything that happened. The funeral. Your heart must be broken, into pieces that you can't mend." My lip quivered as I listened to her words, tears building up behind my eyes. Diana and Ruby only stared at us silently, Diana the only other one who understood what had happened.

"Don't you think Gilbert looks so much more handsome now that he's sad?" Ruby asks, innocently oblivious. No one responds to her words as the girls continue with the stupid shepherd's pie. Squeezing Anne's arm, I return to my spot in the corner of the room trying to hold back my tears as we fall back into the conversation we were having before Anne broke down.

| Anne |

"Are you not coming in?" I ask Lily as she stops on Gilbert's porch steps.

"No, I—I don't think I should," she replies while looking down at her feet, "I'll see you guys when you come out okay?" I sigh internally for my best friend, wishing there was an easier way for this to be done. I know little of what occurred at John Blythe's funeral. I only know that Lily fell ill while talking to Gilbert, who was in complete shambles after the whole ordeal.

I give her a comforting smile and walk into the Blythe household, immediately feeling the emptiness the house seemed to have upon entering. I walk further into the house to find Ruby and Diana standing before Gilbert as he opened the lid to the dish we prepared.

"We're sorry to intrude," Ruby spoke up, she was head over heels for Gilbert, and it showed, "but we wanted you to have that." It was hard for me not to cringe at her words as I stood behind the two girls, regretting ever doing this in the first place.

"We're sorry for your loss," Diana said to my dismay. I looked at him, seeing the disinterest in his eyes, he didn't need this. This isn't helping.