| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

{ sᴛʀᴜɢɢʟᴇ }

| Lily |

"Come on Lily," my mother pleads, her sickly hand shaking as she brings the vile near my mouth, "take it." A menacing smile comes across her lips, taunting me. She holds my head down firmly, not allowing me to move. I struggle from her grasp but my father has my shoulders pinned to the floor. I don't dare scream, as I try to keep my mouth closed as tight as possible while they try to force the substance down my throat. I'm thrashing around but it's no use, they're winning. Within seconds I can feel the sickly sweet substance on my tongue, I scream.

"Gilbert!" I yell, the only thing I can think of, as loud as I can, "help!" But I know that he's not coming to help, he's gone. I continue the battle against my parents but now I'm too weak. My vision blurs, darkening as my mother's face becomes hazy. My struggle comes to a stop, my muscles not able to fight back. Tears start falling fast as I'm giving up. They've won, they've trapped me here. Forever.

And then it's over, and I'm awake, screaming. I can still feel them holding me down and the poison on my lips. The tears blur my vision, and I feel Anne beside me, holding me while I cry. I don't even hear her come in. My breathing stays at a rapid pace, my heart pounding in my ears as she comforts me. But only one thought is on my mind at this moment, because it felt so real, too real, and I don't feel safe anymore.

| Anne |

"Lily," I hear Marilla speak from downstairs, "we would like to talk with you." My eyes go wide in realization and I make my way to the stairway to eavesdrop. Morally, this isn't right but who cares, she's my best friend. I know that Lily will deny everything, she's too stubborn and too afraid of becoming a burden. But her heart is broken, and we all know it. From my position I can barely make out Lily, who sways awkwardly on her feet, awaiting what Marilla is about to say. She doesn't sit down with Marilla, as if she doesn't want to get too close.

"We're concerned," Marilla says, "about your health." I wince at her words. They should've let me talk to her.

"What do you mean," Lily retaliates, sounding rather nervous, "I'm fine, I'm perfectly healthy." The break in her voice sends a pang into my heart, however, there isn't really anything we can do.

"We've noticed that you're barely eating. You're incredibly thin and pale, I'm worried that you're not well emotionally," my heartbeat quickens as she speaks, and I wince once more at Marilla's statement. Lily hates those words.

"As I told you already, I'm fine. Everyone just needs to stop worrying," Lily's voice raises slightly, resonating throughout the house. Matthew and Marilla have wanted to talk to Lily for some time, there's no doubt that Matthew is sitting outside, waiting to hear from his sister how things went.