| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

{ ᴍᴏɴsᴛᴇʀs }

| Anne |

"Hey," I say while entering Lily's room, "can we talk?" She looks my way, unamused.

"You don't have to ask to talk to me Anne," she tells me while indicating for me to sit down, I notice her hand, which is shaking ever so slightly, "you're practically my sister." As much as I would love to talk to her about how she just called me her sister, I need to stay focused on my plan. How else are we going to make her happy again?

"I have an idea," I tell her, "and you're going to try and refuse but just hear me out. Okay?" I look to her in anticipation of a response.

"Okay Anne," she chuckles lightly, "just tell me, you don't have to be so dramatic."

"We should write letters to Gilbert," I basically blurt out at her, earning a laugh almost immediately.

| Lily |

"You're funny Anne," I deadpan, trying my best to keep my cool. She doesn't know about my letters, right?

"No I'm being serious," she tells me, "what better way for you to get closure than to write to him." I stare blankly at her, she must know that I'll need more convincing than that.

"You could tell him that you're all better now, maybe then he'll come back. He told you that he cared too much, because you were "sick" but you're not so he can come back and-"

"Anne!" I cut her off, "I remember that very vividly and I don't need to relive it, please don't make me regret telling you that." I groan slightly, placing my palm on my forehead in frustration.

"Ok I'm sorry but that's beyond the point," she continues her attempt to persuade me, "imagine how great it would be to receive a letter from him, it would be like you're having a really drawn out conversation." I had to admit to myself, Anne was right, and it wasn't like I hadn't thought about sending him a letter, or letters. I look at Anne, who's practically pleading with me with her eyes.

"Fine, whatever," I say and she bursts with excitement. "YES!" She exclaims and rushes off to get some paper.

"How are we going to find out where to send it?" I ask Anne as we sit in my room, silently writing.

"I'll figure it out," she says, half of her attention on me, "I'm sure the ship he's on has a manifest."

"How much thought did you put into this?" I ask, nearly finished with my letter, my heart sinking slightly as I write a postscript. She opens her mouth to reply but is immediately interrupted by banging on the front door of the house. We look at each other startled, and hear yelling coming from downstairs.