Chapter 18: Is Being Found Good?

Soaring just below the top branches of the trees, Blackleaf scanned the ground. He had been traveling for five days, and today was supposed to be the day he would land in River Herd. Presently, he came upon the huge Herd and landed in the woods.
(Back to Morningstar)
Morningstar squealed as her sister caught her by the tail. "Don't pull so hard!" She said once Spiderangel and she had landed. "Sorry! I guess I forgot that again." Said Spiderangel, who really did sound sorry. The filly shrugged her wings and smiled. "That's okay. Let's keep playing!" "Okay!" Spiderangel said enthusiastically, completing forgetting the incident. The two fillies kicked back into the air to continue their game of Tag. Presently, Morningstar stopped and starred at something in the woods. "Who is that?" "Who is who?" Spiderangel asked absentmindedly. "Him! That colt over there by the big oak tree!" Said Morningstar, pointing with her wing at the huge tree. Spiderangel squinted. "I can't tell. I've never seen him before. Maybe he's a new refugee?" Morningstar squinted now too. "I don't know. Let's go ask him!" She started to fly in the colt's direction. "Hey! You can't just-" she gave it up because Spiderangel was also a little curious, so she touched down beside her sister. Morningstar smiled her big smile. "Well hello there! My name is Morningstar! Are you a new refugee?" She asked coolly, trying to hide her curiosity. Blackleaf stammered. "Well I... Ummm..." He starred at the pretty filly who he now knew was one of the twin fillies he would have to help capture. Soon he found words and lied. "Yes, that's it. I am a new refugee. I have been traveling for days." Well, at least that last part was true. He thought to himself. Morningstar's smile brightened. "Great! I mean, not great of course, but great because I can help you! Can I take you to my father?" She blushed. "I mean Starwing." Blackleaf smiles for the first time in a while at her perkiness. "That would be great, thanks." Another filly with Morningstar stepped up. "Hello, I'm Morningstar's sister Spiderangel. What's your name?" Blackleaf smiled a bit wider, not sensing the trap. "It's Blackleaf. Great to meet you Spiderangel sister of Morningstar." He turned his attention back to the sweet and perky Morningstar. "Um, before I see your sire can I graze for a minute?" Morningstar's head bobbed up and down. "Of coarse! You must be exhausted." She blushed again, feeling silly to not have thought of that. Spiderangel gave Morningstar a "resist his charm!" look then questioned the colt further while he ripped a mouthful of grass from a large lush patch. "So Blackleaf, where are your parents?" Blackleaf's eyes widened at the question and he lifted his head. "Well.. they had to stay behind." He secretly patted himself on the back. He had told the truth again! Well, he had sort of told the truth. He dropped the thought and continued grazing. Spiderangel thought of another question. "How did you get here all by yourself? It's really dangerous to travel long distances on your own." Blackleaf shrugged. "They wanted me to go anyway. They don't care if I get hurt. They say I can take care of myself." By they, of coarse he meant his villain parents. In a moment Blackleaf had finished grazing and was satisfied. "Are you ready to meet with my father now?" Asked Morningstar. Blackleaf smiles and shrugged his wings. "As ready as I'll ever be."