Chapter 16: Attacked?

Star had went to go find Morningleaf in the large grazing field to find out from Echofrost that his mate had gone to the forest to look for Dewberry and had been gone for an hour. He had decided to go find her himself because he had very important news that could not wait. Star had cantered into the heart of the forest then stopped, keeping very still from shock. Is that Bumblewind? One of his hooves shifted and a stick cracked under it. He saw a pegasus with aqua feathers who had been talking to Bumblewind stiffen and he quickly realized it was Morningleaf as she slowly turned around to reveal her flaxen mane, Wide blaze, and amber eyes that glowed brightly. When she saw it was Star she looked a bit startled still but she also relaxed. After a moment Star realized that she had probably thought he was a wild animal of some sort and he spoke gently. "It's okay, it's just me. Sorry I scared you." Dewberry spoke up as she came out of the shadows. "'Scared' us? Nah, you didn't scare us." Bumblewind shook off his surprise and snorted. "You looked scared Dewberry." She lifted her chin. "I did not." He shook his mane, giving up on this impossible subject. "If you say so, O Dramatic One." She huffed and mumbled under her breath. Star turned back to Morningleaf, remembering why he had come in the first place. "Morningleaf, can I talk to you? It's about... Blackleaf." She snapped to attention at the name. "What about him?" Star took a moment to think of a good way to explain it to her. "Brackentail.. he sent a private messenger for you and I that said..." He stopped, not wanting to say it. Morningleaf put her comforting wing on his shoulder. "It's okay Star, you can tell me. I'm tough." He laughed a little at this and it made him feel better. "Okay. The messenger said that when Blackleaf cries, a few black and a bunch of white flowers pop up." Morningleaf looked a bit shocked. "But only black foals have that, right?" Now she looked more confused than shocked. "I don't know what's going on any more than you do!" Star said in a helpless tone. Morningleaf-who still had her wing on his shoulder- now patted him. "Don't feel helpless, we have an absolutely impenetrable territory thanks to the followers you gained two years ago, so even if Blackleaf turns out to have starfire we are still well prepared." She didn't seem very confident about her own words but Star did feel a bit better. "I guess you're right." "I know I'm right." she said, suppressing a laugh. Hearing a thud and laughter from behind him, Star turned to see Dewberry and Bumblewind wrestling on the dewy grass. It looked like Dewberry might win until Bumblewind caught her tail in his mouth and tugged at it until Dewberry finally said "Fine! You win!" Then he dropped her tail and held his head high. "I told you so!" He said triumphantly. Dewberry just shook her head sadly, wishing she had won. Suddenly out of nowhere, a stallion with blue and purple feathers flew into view, bowing his head in acknowledgement once he landed. The stallion's eyes mis-matched eyes looked at Star. "Hi there, remember me?"