Chapter One

TW: Abuse, slight swearing

We're off to a super happy start

Virgil's POV

I kept my eyes glued to my plate as the voices continued around me. I moved my food around with my fork, not eating it, until a voice jolted me out of my thoughts. I raised my head to look at my foster father, a greying man named Sebastian.

"Hey!" Sebastian said loudly. "Listen to me when I talk to you!"

"Okay." I replied quietly, lowering my gaze. 

Sebastian slammed his fist on the table, making the cutlery rattle and causing me to flinch.

At this point, the other kids sitting around the dinner table were watching us. There were 5 of us, including myself, but I wasn't really related to them. I was the only foster kid there, the rest were hell spawn. Their eyes flicked between me and Sebastian like they were watching a tennis match.

"Speak up." Satan number one growled

Sebastian's wife, Susan (aka, Satan number two) looked at me distastefully from Sebastian's side,

"Be more respectful." She sneered

Given what you know about them so far, I think you'll believe me when I say that neither of my foster parents had no right to ever get laid. Then again, these two are such assholes that they're practically perfect for each other.

"I said okay." I responded, louder than the first time.

"Okay sir." Sebastian glared.

Now,

I knew that what I was about to do would be incredibly stupid, but I couldn't resist my calling to be sarcastic when I had the chance.

"There's no need to call me sir." 

It's not very hard to set him off, especially for me. I have a natural talent for being annoying and apparently I'm very easy to hate.

Sebastian stood up violently from his chair and stomped over to where I was sitting. 

It was at this point Virgil knew, he fucked up

My foster father grabbed me by the neck and threw me to the floor, causing me to yelp in pain. He yanked my head back by the hair, forcing me to meet his hatred filled eyes.

"You," He said, his voice dangerously low. "Need to learn to be grateful."

I couldn't hold back a scoff.

Grateful? Grateful for what! Being beaten for doing a single thing wrong? My "siblings" blaming me for any mistakes they make? Constantly being hated for existing?

Sebastian obviously didn't like my reaction much.

He slammed my face into the floorboards and kicked me hard in the stomach. I groaned in pain and clutched my stomach.

Sebastian just sat back down at the table casually, as if he hadn't just beaten up a fifteen year old boy that he was supposed to care about. Without turning her attention away from the food in front of her, Susan said

"Go to your room and clean yourself up. I'm sick of looking at you."

I felt the beginning of tears prick in the corners of my eyes as I heard my "siblings" laugh at that comment. I pushed myself up and limped to my sorry excuse of a bedroom, locking the door behind me.

It was pretty much just a cramped room the size of a cleaning supply closet with a single light bulb dangling from a chain attached to the ceiling . There was a small mattress crammed into the corner, and my limited amount of clothes were stuffed into a small dresser across from the door.