Chapter Five

Virgil's POV

The second I walked into the dining pavilion behind the Hermes cabin and other undetermined campers, I felt every pair of eyes stare at me.

As I passed one table that had a heavy scent of perfume, all of the girls sitting there fluttered their eyelashes at me and twirled their hair around their fingers. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, and just continued to follow the kid in front of me. If I was straight, I'm sure that I'd love the attention from those girls.

But sadly, I'm as straight as a goddamn circle.

The pavilion itself was very impressive. There were twenty tables all of them with plates and goblets, most of them surrounded by campers but five of them were empty. There was a long stone table at the front where Mr D sat with Chiron and a few satyrs, a hearth fireplace crackled in the wall next to them.

Patton smiled and waved at me eagerly as we passed a table full of mostly blonde boys and girls, the Apollo table I guess, and Logan nodded at me politely from the Athena table. I gave them both a tiny smile.

Finally, we approached a big stone table with 'Cabin 11' and a design of a caduceus etched into it.

I sat down on the stone bench and pulled my hood up on my head, trying to ignore the burning eyes I could tell were still trained on me.

I caught some whispers from around the room.

"Two dracaena-"

"Completely untrained-"

"Just look at his eyes-"

"He's undetermined too-"

This just caused me to draw my hood closer to my face and lower my head.

I jumped as I felt a hand touch my shoulder.

"Woah, hey!" Aly said, surprised at my reaction as I turned to face her. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, um," I replied, slightly embarrassed. "Yeah, I'm fine."

I knew that it would probably become annoying, but I couldn't help it. After suffering through living with Sebastian and Susan for ten years, every loud noise or sudden physical touch made me flinch or jump.

"Okay, if you say so." She said, noticing that it wasn't something I wanted to talk about. "So, Virgil, how did you end up here? We all know about the dracaena, but how did you get to Half Blood Hill in the first place?"

I could see the other kids at the Hermes table lean in to hear my answer.

"Um, well," I began, avoiding all their eyes and hoping that they wouldn't ask too many questions. "I ran away from my foster home in Queens and met up with my friend Joan at a Greyhound station. We took it nearly all the way here, but the bus broke down on the side of the road. When we got out, the dracaena got rid of their disguises and, well, you guys probably know the rest."

"Why'd you run away?" Someone asked.

That was the question I had been hoping no one would ask. I stared at the table and began to fidget with my hands.

"Let's just say that we weren't exactly the perfect, happy family." I answered shortly, trying to keep my voice steady.

Aly was looking at me with a sympathetic and understanding look.

"Well," She said, trying to change the subject. "We've all heard through the grapevine what happened on Half-Blood Hill. But I for one would like to hear it straight from you."

Everyone at the table agreed eagerly.

Bless Aly's soul.

I spent the next few minutes recounting all of the events from last night up until I blacked out, when Chiron called for everyone's attention.