Chapter 4

(Shuichi's POV)

I let out a groan, my head pounding. I really need to stop drinking... I thought to myself, stumbling to my kitchen to get water. I felt so dehydrated... it was awful. I got my biggest glass and filled it with water, not even caring that it was room temperature as I chugged it.

Next thing I knew I had to puke, and I ran to my garbage can, throwing up. Gross... I sighed, sitting down right on my kitchen floor feeling miserable. I passed out again, waking up some time around 2 PM. My hangover was mostly gone, and I realized that I smelled horribly of alcohol.

I went to the bathroom to take a shower, but as I was taking off my coat I heard paper rustling. I didn't remember writing anything down, so I took out the paper in confusion.

Hey Shuichi,
You were drunk when I wrote this so I just slipped it in your pocket, hope you don't mind! Anyways, I just wanted to say that even if you don't know me well you can always talk to me, my number is (phone number) if you wanna text me or something, if not that's alright. And don't throw away your future to alcohol, I'm gonna deny you service if you come back!!!
-(Y/N)

I chuckled a little at the end of the note, actually smiling. "I'm not going back to that bar..." I muttered to myself. It was a promise, to myself and (Y/N).

I put the note on the counter, taking off my clothes and getting in the shower. The warm water made me feel better, and I made sure to get the smell of alcohol off of me before I got out.

I dried myself and put on my bathrobe, picking up my old clothes and throwing them in the washer with bleach because they also smelled awful. Then I went to my room and put on my favorite outfit, which was a white button-up shirt with a black jacket and matching black pants. It smelled like peppermint for some reason, but I didn't mind.

"Oh yeah...! The note (Y/N) left me..." I thought out loud, going back to the bathroom and grabbing it.

I grabbed my phone and put in the number (Y/N) gave me, leaving a single text.

Hey, it's Shuichi. Is this (Y/N)?

I put my phone on the kitchen counter as I made myself a simple meal, reminding myself that I needed to return to work tomorrow. I heard a ping from my phone about ten minutes later and once I finished making my food I checked it. I had two texts, one from Lestrade and the other from (Y/N). I checked Lestrade's text first.

Lestrade: Hey Shuichi, sorry to bother you but the boss says you need to be at work tomorrow or you're fired.

I gulped. That was seriously scary! The boss was pretty mean and strict, and I had to use all my sick days and lots of convincing from Lestrade and I to even have so much time to mourn over Kaede, which was a week and a few days.

Me: I actually planned on coming back tomorrow...

Lestrade: Good, I don't want you to get fired!

I then looked at the text (Y/N) sent me.

Unknown: Yes, this is (Y/N). How bad is your hangover, by the way?

I put in her number as a contact, and then replied.

Me: It was bad this morning but I fell back asleep and now I'm fine

(Y/N): Oh, that's good! I've never actually drank so I don't know much about hangovers

Me: That's kinda ironic...

(Y/N): Yeah, but enough about me. I've been curious, why did you run out of the bookstore a few days ago?

Me: Cuz...

Me: You reminded me of Kaede, and I didn't wanna think about her

(Y/N): Oh, I'm sorry!

Me: It's alright... it's still painful but I can at least get by now.

(Y/N): Even if you take two steps forward and one step back all that matters is you're making progress.

Me: Yeah, I guess

(Y/N): Oh yeah! This is kinda personal, but have you been financially stable recently...? You don't have to answer, I'm just worried.

Me: I can manage, I'm going back to work tomorrow so I'll be fine

(Y/N): Just be careful, alright? I don't want you to screw up from grief, and I hear being a detective is dangerous!

Me: It's really just small cases, they're hard to mess up...

(Y/N): You can't be too cautious

Me: I guess so

(Y/N): Shoot, I gotta go. I have an appointment. Bye, I'll talk to you later!

I put my phone down, the depression I felt surrounding Kaede not seeming so bad. It was healing much faster than I'd anticipated, but maybe the fact that I had made a new friend made it easier on me...

And imagine if I'd decided against going to the bar that day... or the bookstore... the butterfly effect is truly interesting.

~~~
Word count: 862

Ah woah two chapters in a day!