Chapter 6

Shuichi: I recognized your car from the bar... and you had an alibi for the time of murder because I was at the bar with you and I didn't wanna bother you, so...

You were honestly stunned. You hadn't thought the detective actually knew what your car looked like, but you figured all detectives spotted small details like that. It was a small bar, after all...

Me: Oh, that makes sense. Good job on remembering small details, I guess... though it's a little creepy you instantly recognized my car lol

Shuichi: Sorry... it's a habit from being a detective to keep track of everything...

Me: I think that's actually pretty cool!

You chuckled a bit, putting your phone down. A few minutes later, you had another ping.

Shuichi: Thanks, I guess...

Me: Hey, do you wanna go somewhere? I know it's cliché but maybe you wanna go to a café or something?

Shuichi: Oh... what day?

Me: Tomorrow maybe?

Shuichi: If you don't mind doing it in the evening then I can...

Me: That's fine! What time exactly?

Shuichi: How about... 7 PM?

Me: Okay! Let's meet at (café)!

Shuichi: Alright...

You smiled. Shuichi was a very nice and interesting friend, and you wanted to keep talking to him. You'd developed the slightest crush on him but you didn't say anything because you knew that his breakup with Kaede was devastating for him, and he probably wasn't even close to ready to date anybody. You were fine just being his friend anyways, it was his decision what he wanted to do.

(Shuichi's POV)

I sighed, looking at the last text. (Y/N) sort of reminded me of Kaede and I honestly didn't like it. She was a great friend, she was just a bit too positive sometimes and it'd give me a painful reminder of Kaede.

Why am I complaining that she's too positive...? I should be glad she's so optimistic! What's wrong with me?! I scolded myself, picking up the book from the bookstore a while ago. It was titled 'Double Helix' and the description on the back definitely made it aimed at teenager audiences, but an easy read once in a while was nice.

I started reading it, but I didn't get very far because I got a call from Shaun. I answered it nervously. "H-hello...?"

"Shuichi, I don't care if it's your day off get your ass over here right now it's an emergency!!!" Shaun practically screamed, and hang up before I could ask any questions.

I jumped from my seat on the couch and grabbed my things as quickly as I could, almost speeding on my way to the police station. I parked quickly and rushed inside, Shaun waiting for me.

"What happened?!" I demanded.

"Another murder happened on the same street!" Shaun growled.

"Wh-what?!" I gasped.

"AND your suspect made a crafty escape!" Shaun seemed ready to explode, "So you better go track him down!"

I nodded, immediately investigating the entire police department for traces of the suspect. It turned out that he'd said he needed to use the bathroom and then taken a screwdriver he'd stashed before getting captured in case he was caught, quietly unscrewed the vent, and followed it all the way to the roof where he jumped into the bushes and left. Of course, since he'd done it at night there was basically no security to spot him.

Luckily a perimeter had been set, and I knew he wouldn't get past it. I began searching for clues about where he went next, though after he'd got out of sight of the police department he clearly worried more about stealth than distance. However, I was able to follow a trail of the tiniest mistakes, which lead into the classic dark alley. I wasn't falling for it, I knew it was a trap. Meaning he was waiting to trap me in the alley.

I checked the nearby buildings, spotting him browsing a clothing section in a store. I knew he hadn't seen me and I crouched down, sneaking my way through the racks. But unfortunately, luck wasn't on my side...

"Sir? Are you alright?" a worker at the store asked, and I glared at her before snapping my attention back to my suspect. Great, he knows someone's hiding...

He started running and I stood up, giving chase. Since detectives are trained to run fast I easily caught up, pinning him to the wall and handcuffing him.

"You're under arrest for breaking out of the station and two suspected murders!" I growled, ignoring the crowd of people that had gathered at the commotion.

"But wasn't I at least fun to catch, Saihara-chan~?" he giggled, and I jumped.

"Kokichi Oma?!"

"Nishishi~! Yep! I just dyed my hair again and got new color contacts and BAM, you didn't recognize me! Soooo, I heard about Kaede. Who's the new girlfriend you've been hanging out with?" Kokichi smiled innocently.

"That's none of your business!" I shouted.

"Look at how bad you're shaking! Don't cry on the job and make uncle Bobby have to do it for you! Oh waaaaait, your uncle died. Woopsie, I forgot! Who was it again that took his place...? Oh yeah! Your mean cousin Shauni!" Kokichi smirked.

I'd had enough of his teasing, I felt ready to break. I grabbed my tazer and tazed him, making him instantly cry out and start twitching uncontrollably, unable to speak anymore. I breathed heavily, knowing what I just did would get serious criticism, but I didn't care in the moment.

I heard sirens which marked the late arrival of my coworkers, and I kept a close eye on Kokichi. Luckily it didn't last much longer, and he was taken away. I sighed heavily as I explained the situation to the officers. Somehow, I wasn't punished for tazing Kokichi.

~~~
Word count: 977