Chapter 5

(Shuichi's POV)

I walked into the police station, my boss Shaun waiting for me.

"Great, you're finally here! There was a murder case that came in yesterday and I'm putting you and Lestrade on it since everyone else is busy with another case," Shaun explained.

"A m-murder?!" I gasped.

"Did I stutter? Well anyways, since you're supposed to be the Ultimate Detective you better have at least a suspect ASAP," Shaun growled, walking away (probably to yell at more of my poor coworkers).

"What an ass... no wonder he's only the boss because of family relations," Lestrade scoffed, appearing from his office nearby.

"We should just work on the case... where's the file?" I asked.

"In my office, follow me," Lestrade walked back into his office and I followed, taking a seat across the table from him.

"All we know so far is that the victim is named Bailey Wells, age 23, and was found dead two days ago with a slit throat in her home. Her phone has been stolen along with a safe in her house being busted open that was suspected to hold around 30,000$ in cash. The killer obviously knows enough about forensics to cover their tracks, we couldn't find any fingerprints or DNA," Lestrade summarized, reading from the case file.

"What time did she die?" I asked.

"It's estimated between 10 and 11 PM three days ago. There's also no signs of forced entry or open windows which makes us think it was someone Bailey knows," Lestrade showed pictures of Bailey's dead body and other things from the scene.

Lestrade and I continued to discuss the case, thinking of all possible suspects. We had to ask Bailey's neighbors for some leads and open a tip line, but we made good progress for the day.

"Oh wow, it's already time to leave!" Lestrade chuckled, throwing on his coat, "I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Sure..." I mumbled, still looking over some of the things the neighbors said. Some of it was inconsistent, though since they were human I expected that. What interested me the most was that two neighbors claim they were up late and heard some kind of fight from Bailey's house the day of the murder, but the time they claim it happened didn't match at all. One claimed it was around 9:30 PM and the other said around midnight.

I decided that I'd investigate both of them further, just for the fact they were obvious suspects and it was the only way I could ease my mind. I didn't want to suspect either of them... but a murder had happened, and I couldn't let the killer run free because I was too afraid to be wrong.

Looking at the clock, I noticed that it was around 8 PM. I quickly got in my car and drove to their houses, knocking on the first neighbor's door. It was answered by the same man who'd opened it earlier today.

"Oh? You're back? Is there something I can help you with?" the person at the door asked.

"I wanted to confirm a couple of things. You say you heard Bailey fighting around 9:30, right?" I bit my lip a little.

"Yeah," they nodded.

"And you say you heard gunshots?"

"Yeah, like two or three."

There were no gunshot holes or bullets at the scene... I thought. "How much time would you say there was between gunshots?"

"It was rapid fire, not even a second between them!"

I thought for a second, before sighing. "Thank you, sir. Have a nice day."

He smiled and closed the door, and I got in my car and immediately called Shaun.

"Hello? This better be important, I'm busy!" Shaun growled.

"I-I ah... think I got a suspect," I explained.

"Where the hell are they?!" Shaun demanded.

I told him the address, and without another word Shaun hung up. I was about to start up my car to get out of sight but I heard police sirens already, and within just a few minutes there were a couple cars there.

I watched as they broke into the house and took the man, and he struggled but they still got him in the car.

(Your POV)

"What the hell...?" You grumbled, looking outside and immediately you gasped. On the other side of the street a bunch of cops were dragging some guy into their car, and Shuichi was watching.

You'd never seen Shuichi so angry. His eyes seemed to pierce the person's eyes, and it honestly scared you. Boy, I'm sure glad he's never looked at me like that... but what the hell is going on?

You opened your door, noticing your other neighbors had done that too and were standing on their porches and watching in confusion. Speaking over all the officers talking, you almost yelled.

"Now what the hell is all this commotion about?!" You demanded. Oh shit, that was a lot louder than you expected!!

A few cops turned your way and scoffed, going back to their work but Shuichi was startled. He then walked over to you, and sighed.

"A murder happened... didn't you know?" Shuichi asked.

"Uhh... what?!" You gasped.

"Your neighbor Bailey was killed a couple days ago..." Shuichi explained.

"...Oh, her? She was mean but I still feel bad, she didn't deserve to die!" You whined.

"Nobody deserves to die..." Shuichi sighed, then turned back to the officers when one of them called his name, "Sorry, I better get back."

Before you could respond he half walked, half dashed back to his officer buddies. But then a question went through your head. I'm sure as a detective he'd wanna be thorough, so why didn't I get questioned since I'm the house literally right next door? And why didn't he act surprised to see that I live here?

You texted it to him, hoping he'd respond later and not ignore you. There were some people that just ignored confrontation and you didn't like it.

~~~
Word count: 1003

Dang almost exactly 1000, oh well