Chapter 7

(???'s POV)

"Why, hello there sweetie~" he smirked at me.

Immediately I screamed, "Wh-what are you doing here?! You're supposed to stay 50 feet away from me!"

"Supposed to doesn't mean I will!" he cackled, pointing a gun at me, "Now, be a good girl and do as I say. I don't wanna waste such a pretty girl because she wouldn't obey me~"

(Your POV)

You walked into the café, the fresh scent of coffee hitting you. You smiled and took a seat, waiting patiently for Shuichi. It didn't take long for him to arrive, and he smiled shyly at you. You smiled back and stood up to greet him.

"Hey Shuichi!" You greeted.

"Hey, (Y/N)," Shuichi pulled his hat over his eyes, making you chuckle.

"Tell me what you want so I can get our orders, on the house!" You offered.

"R-really?" Shuichi gasped slightly.

"Of course!"

"W-well... I-I guess I'll just have a coffee with a bit of half and half and just a little bit of chocolate..." Shuichi decided.

"Okay, I'll go order it!" You walked over to the counter and ordered Shuichi's coffee, and you got (drink). You sat down while you waited for the orders to be done. "So, I heard the police station had some trouble yesterday. What happened?"

"Th-the murder suspect got away... but I caught him again... he's in a more secure area while awaiting trial," Shuichi explained."

"Oh geez, I didn't know it was that bad!" You gasped.

"He's a very crafty person, unfortunately. But at least he's off the streets now!" Shuichi seemed to almost cheer, but it came out as a shy smile.

"Order number 314!" a barista called.

"Oh, that's our order. I'll get it!" You smiled and got the drinks, giving Shuichi his coffee. He blew on it a little before taking a sip, and you could tell he liked it.

"The coffee tastes nice... and it's surprisingly not too hot..." Shuichi mumbled to himself.

"That's why they're so popular," You commented.

"Ah! You heard that...?" Shuichi pulled his hat over his eyes again.

"Well, yeah! I'm not deaf!" You giggled.

Shuichi made some small noise, refusing to lift his hat.

(Shuichi's POV)

This... wow. Why am I hiding just a smile? I know I'm shy but it's not usually this bad... what's wrong with me? What's so different about (Y/N) that makes me have to act like I've never talked to anyone in my life?

Slowly I pulled my cap back up, taking another sip of my coffee. I had to stop using it so much anyways... it was becoming a crutch for me. Just like how it almost became alcohol. I sighed.

"Ah, sorry, I need to use the bathroom..." I apologized, standing up.

"Oh, that's alright!" (Y/N) smiled, and I walked to the men's restroom, going inside. The coast was clear, good. If another guy walked in and saw me in here to not use the bathroom... I would probably die of embarrassment.

I looked at myself in the mirror. Same old me, as always. Why was I acting so nervous? I was about to splash water on my face but I then heard footsteps, so I just washed my hands to make it look like I'd just finished using the urinal. Another man walked in and didn't pay much attention to me, and neither did I. I dried my hands and quickly left, returning to find (Y/N) with some small brownies.

"I hope you don't mind, I got a little hungry so I got some brownies! You can have some if you want," (Y/N) giggled.

"Oh, thanks," I smiled and took one of the brownies, taking a bite. It was very sweet, clearly made with quality in mind. I was immediately reminded of Kaede.

"Tsumugi and I decided to try baking, and look!" Kaede giggled, showing off a tray of brownies. They were rather fresh and they smelled delicious.

I smiled, feeling my mouth water a bit, "Can I have one?"

"Sure!" Kaede took one of the brownies from the tray and handed it to me, "Careful, the inside might be a little hot still."

It was a little warm, but that just made it taste even better. It felt like I was eating something only an Ultimate Baker could make.

A single tear threatened to spill, but I didn't let it. This wasn't the time to keep thinking about Kaede. I had to move on with my life. I couldn't spend forever moping about a girl that wouldn't come back.

"Shuichi? Why'd you get quiet all of a sudden?" (Y/N) asked, concern lacing her voice.

"S-sorry, I was just thinking about a case," I lied with a bitter smile.

"C'mon, don't think so much! If you waste all your time thinking then you won't have any time to have fun!" (Y/N) pouted. I let out a small chuckle.

"I know, I'm sorry," I smiled a little, and (Y/N) grinned. I knew she could tell I was starting to come out of my shell, just slightly. And surprisingly, I didn't mind.

~~~
Word count: 865