Chapter 4 - Little Things

It's been a whole human month and I'm still observing how Joohyun guard this boring American guy who got friendzoned by this girl who he has been "courting" for the past three years. I mean, maybe he's got personality that I might have missed out because now he's just plain sad and all but this is so frustrating already!

He's been inside his house for a month. A month! He's been watching the same sad movie of the dying dude on a wheelchair and the bubbly girl who reminds her how it feels to be alive and all that. Doesn't he get the movie? Even after what it seems like 20 times he had watched it? To have a life, he needs to go out there and live! But no, he's there in his house watching the same movie.

"Can't you tell him to play other movies?" I suggest this to Joohyun everyday but I keep on getting the same response.

"Is watching the same movie gonna get him killed?" she replies, not even looking away from that boring dude.

"Probably. This is depression already. What if he harms himself?"

"Chaeng, waking up, having to move to get the remote control and play your favorite movie means you still haven't given up on life. It's the little things you need to look at. No matter how small you think it is, it's there, you moved forward from where you were."

I frown at that and I guess Joohyun realizes how I can't comprehend what she's saying as she finally looks at me and gives me her angelic smile. "Sometimes, there are these little moments that are happening yet we overlook them not knowing these little moments builds to be that huge gap from where you once were. You've been watching him for a whole month. What did you notice?"

"That he watches the same movie for a gazillion times already?"

Joohyun shakes her head. It must be frustrating to teach me but she shows no judgement in her eyes. "He used to watch it while drinking beers. By the time half of the movie had passed, he's already too drunk to open his eyes and just leaves the television open until he wakes up. But a week after that, he was able to finish the whole movie."

"Isn't it just because he ran out of beers?"

"Maybe. But he can buy, but he didn't."

"He doesn't want to go out, Joohyun. That's why he wasn't able to buy."

Joohyun rolls her eyes at that and gives out a short laugh. "Chaeng. He can buy beers without going out and you know that. Another example. For weeks, he won't even take a bath. But last week, he was able to do so."

"Yes, thank God, he did."

"It's a win, Chaeng. It may seem like he's in a continuous loop but every now and then he was able to do these little things. Even if it's just two steps away from the couch, it's a win. We should celebrate those things, Chaeng. Before you know it, those two steps will amount to 50 steps ever since he got his heart broken. That 50 steps is already a huge gap from where he was. Before you know it, he's already out of his house."

"I..." I don't know what to say. Again, she's right about it. Somehow, I can see why things were not working out for me. It's because sometimes, I overlook those simple things and keep on looking for the big things to happen in an instance.

I then look to my small fountain. It still shows Jeon Jungkook. I've been watching over him as I don't have a soul yet. I told Chanyeol about not taking any souls other than Jungkook's and he said he doesn't plan to give me any so I can relearn things. I hope this works by the time Jungkook needs me. So far, his friends are very supportive of him and slowly, he's healing from his loss. But that Gayoung is still there, holding his fragile heart in the palm of her hands... and she can break it anytime.

"Do you think she'll be able to break him?" Joohyun asks as she takes a short glimpse at my fountain.

"Oh, she will. It's just a matter of time especially now that Donghyun is free. She's seeing him more frequently these days. And Jungkook's friends know something. They've seen her being too friendly with him on a cafe during Jieun's funeral. Even though they haven't really caught her doing things with him, the doubt is already there enough to keep their guard up to that girl. I hope he learns it from his friends rather than knowing it himself, in that case, it might hurt less. But the thing is, his friends are cautious. They don't want to tell him yet because they don't have any proof of it but I can feel that his friend Jennie is making sure he'll leave her any time soon."

"If that's the case, he might not even need an angel for the broken heart because he's heart might not get broken if that happens." Joohyun concludes.

"Right. He might not even need me."

That's the most ideal scenario. That he won't even need my services. But something in my gut says it won't be ideal. Sometimes, it even scares me how broken he can get. That's why I still need to learn. I'm not gonna take chances. Whatever happens, I need to be prepared.

We look back to the boring guy and sees him walking towards the door. Oh my God. HE'S WALKING TO THE DOOR!

"Joohyun!" I shout with excitement. Joohyun eyes lit up but she remains composed.

The guy opens the door to receive the pizza he ordered earlier. Like Joohyun said, it's a win. Because sometimes, he'll just order pizza but won't go to the door to receive it. I actually pity the delivery guys who made an effort to deliver the pizza only to bring it back to the store because no one's answering the door. Well, at least his orders are wired to his account, which means there's hardly any loss in the pizzeria he bought it from.

"Good job, Damien." Joohyun whispers to the guy.

He then takes the pizza and lays it on the table. He then pauses as he's staring at it, looking like he's thinking hard about something. Only Joohyun knows what he's thinking right now.

"What's happening?" I ask Joohyun but she just intently watches over him.

Then, for the first time since he got his heart broken, the guy smiles. He brushes his hair with his fingers as he shakes his head, as if finding everything around him incredulous. He then grabs his phone and rings one of his friends, asking to meet up. And just like that he grabs his keys and walks out of his house. For the first time ever since he got his heart broken.

"Joohyun, the last teardrop." I saw it and it's breathtaking. I haven't really experience seeing it happened but now, right in front of me, the last teardrop shoots out of Joohyun's fountain.

"Oh Chaeyoung." Joohyun grabs me and hugs me tightly. I haven't even realized that I'm already crying. I don't know... maybe of happiness. Even though I keep on telling Joohyun I hate that boring guy, it makes me so happy that he finally moved on. Oh my gosh, what more if I were able to help one soul move on. I don't know what I will feel by that time happens.

"Chaeng." I hear Chanyeol calls me as he stands at the entrance of the fountain gardens. I look at him and see that he's panting really hard as if he was running.

Why don't I feel good about that look?

"His name arrived in the list."

His. name...is on the list.

My neck almost snapped when I hurriedly turn my head to my fountain. There, in a restaurant overlooking Seoul, Jeon Jungkook is on his knees... crying.

"Please don't leave me, Gayoung. Please don't go." He says as he hugs Gayoung's waist, his head at her back.

"I can't marry you, Jungkook. And I can't stay either. I feel so guilty holding onto you like this because I still cherish you. You're still one of the most important people in my life. It's just... I... I don't feel the same way as before. I... need to go."

Gayoung forcefully removes Jungkook's arms from her and runs out of the place. Jungkook has his hands on the floor, still not believing everything that's happening right now. His life for 10 years revolved around her. Then all of the sudden, she left him on the floor... with nothing besides a diamond ring she didn't accept.