Chapter 21 - Meaning of You

The Jeons are lovely. I've met their parents and even Jiyong's lovely wife who were in the city yesterday. Also I learned that Jungkook's talent in music isn't just something he thought of out of nowhere. The whole family loves to sing. Even little Jaea can sing beautifully. Apparently, the Jeons sing and perform in the festival to give thanks to the people who helped them with their farm and business. Little Jaea and father Jeon will be having a duet later!

Now, I don't want to be greedy or anything, I'm here for a name, a mere identity. But, feeling how to have a family like this, a mom, a dad, siblings to fight food with, it makes me want more.

Why didn't they look for me? Or do I have one to begin with? What if the only family I have were the ones on my dreams? The ones who were already in caskets, dead? Is it better to have dead family than a family who doesn't want you?

"Are you okay?" Mrs. Jeon asks me as she hands me a glass of fresh fruit juice.

All the Jeons are warm. Even Jiyong who looks intimidating is really caring deep inside. He and his wife took care of me last night because they said I had a fever.

"I'm fine, Mrs. Jeon." I smile back at her and continue helping with the people in this village to set up for the festival. We're currently here in the marketside parking lot where the festival will take place.

"Rosé! I need your help!" Hana, Jiyong's wife, comes running towards us. She pauses in front of me before she continues speaking. "Jaea is having tantrums. Apparently she wants your song and doesn't want to duet with appa."

"Aish. That kid." Mrs. Jeon is already out of her seat, ready to go to Jaea.

I stopped her as I thought of a better solution. "She can sing it. I think it's cuter if she does. I mean she's the one who requested for me to sing 'Good day'. It will look better if a kid will sing and dance to it."

"But then what are you going to sing? And who will sing with appa?" Hana looks worried. The duet with the patriarch is the highlight of the event because it will be a tribute to Jieun. Because for the first time since the tradition of the Jeons started, Jieun won't be there to sing with her father.

I give Hana an encouraging smile. "I can sing something else. And I'll help you convince Jaea to still sing with her father."

I excused myself to Mrs. Jeon and went with Hana to where Jaea is. Jiyong was carrying Jaea as she cried on his shoulder when we got to them. We told her of my plan and she immediately got excited. Because I gave way to her, she also agreed on singing with their father as planned.

I helped her practice the song and after we're done, she easily fell asleep from exhaustion. Hana was the one who carried her to their house while Jiyong stayed to help me look for a song to sing.

"Do you play any instruments?"

Oh God. What does this mean?

"I'm a fast learner." I immediately replied.

Jiyong snickers. "I'm not pressuring you. I'll help you even if you don't play anything. I just thought of it while listening to you earlier. Yes, you do learn fast. That's why I thought you know how to play instruments as you're really musically inclined."

"Oh." I managed to say. Do I know? "Let's try then. I told you I don't remember anything about me... but maybe subconsciously, I'll know. Or we can just rely on how fast I learn things, and hope for good results?"

He played some songs on the keyboard and sang a little. Wow, he's voice is really distinct. He will be rapping later but hearing him show his vocals is indeed a treat for the ears.