Chapter 13 - Joy

It’s Thursday after the incident. Everybody’s already busy with their own lives. I was supposed to spend time with Namjoon in his office but because of the recent events, I had to come with Jin and Jungkook to Jeju.

That very night, everyone decided to stall us some time by releasing a statement that Jungkook's SNS account had been hacked. Namjoon made sure that it looked like it was really hacked which most of the netizens bought. Yoongi, as his CEO, then continued his statement with Jungkook being on a week vacation and will just get his statement when he gets back. They only did that so that they can buy sometime in fixing the issue with Sooyoung. The media has been pressuring Yoongi’s agency to make an official statement answering the issue that’s why he only give us until Friday to fix things with Sooyoung. When all things goes well, they agreed that they will confirm that Jungkook and Gayoung had a relationship but had already parted ways due to busy schedule and that's just that. Nobody needs to know the rejected proposal.

That plan is the safest answer to this situation. But Jennie wanted to do more damage with Gayoung for all the things she put Jungkook through. What did really happen in the past? I don’t know. I wasn’t able to ask any of them about it, And I’m pretty sure, Jungkook doesn’t want to talk about it.

So for now, I’ll just go ask about something else.

“Can you tell me something about Sooyoung?” I ask Jungkook as we sat on the porch of Jin’s rest house in Jeju.

Jungkook pouts thinking about what to say. “You can say that Sooyoung has also been a longtime friend of ours. You see the Kims are the ones who introduced us to each other. Without Jennie, I wouldn’t know her brother and their cousins and I wouldn’t have introduced my longtime friend Jimin to them. We wouldn’t meet Hoseok and Namjoon, Jin’s childhood friends. We wouldn’t know Yoongi and Sooyoung, Jisoo’s closest friends. Jennie was also the one who introduced us to Lisa, whom she met when she went to an international school.”

He pauses for a while as if thinking carefully about what to say… or maybe what not to say. “If the Kim’s have Jin as the modern crown prince of Korea,” I try to hold up a laugh at that. “Sooyoung is the modern crown princess. She’s the only girl of the richest Park in this generation, the Park family that one of the world's most famous suppliers of jets and is partners with the Kims in Korea’s flagship airline.”

Here I am again, feeling so little about myself. I really doubt I’m at their status. I don’t even work.

“So… what happened to her? Why don’t I get to see her with you guys?” I ask him.

“Well, Sooyoung is a rebel. She hates people controlling her life. That’s why you really can’t see her at one place. She’s everywhere. Partying, wasting their families’ money, all those crazy shits rich brats do. But trust me, that girl’s an angel. Her circumstances just made her do those things.”

“If she’s an angel… and a friend, then why is she willing to harm you in anyway?”

“Because Jin loves me. That’s why he didn’t say anything about it even though he’s doing his best to confront it. Sooyoung knows it that’s why she’s leveraging on it. Sooyoung will do everything for her freedom. I understand her. Her life is suffocating. And I’ve done much worse to my friends that I really can’t hate her from possibly ruining me.”

I sigh. He’s self pitying again. So I flicked his forehead.

“Yah. What’s that for?”

“You know Jungkook…” I get off the rattan swing and sit beside him on the sofa facing the sea. I move closer to him so that we’re leveled face to face. “You’re cute… when you smile like this.” I pinch both of his cheeks and stretch his face to smile. He’s screaming in pain but someone has to create sunshine when Hoseok’s not around.