Chapter 18

"Morning!"

"Someone's chipper!" Zoe commented as she listened to her brother's greeting. "Why are you so happy?"

Joe grimaced. He knew exactly  why he was in such a good mood, but he wasn't about to share that with his sister. Instead, he settled for a different (but still true) answer.

"I'm just happy. Things seem to be back to normal around here. Di's not stressing about anything. She's forgotten the whole debacle with Alfie and the weird comments and the fans and stuff. It just feels... right."

Zoe smiled. "That's good. I'm glad you're OK. Where is Dianne?"

"She, uh, she's gone to get her eyebrows and lashes tinted, I think."

"Ah, is she now in that time where she's getting ready for the show again? That must be weird for you."

Joe sat back on the circular chair in his living room, holding one of the fluffy grey cushions around his middle. "It is a bit. I... I'm trying not to think about it too much. I don't want to come across as jealous or anything but I'm definitely nervous. Not that she'd end up leaving me or anything, nothing like that."

"But it's weird seeing someone else in your shoes?" Zoe questioned.

"Exactly. Don't tell her, but, as much as I'd love her to get to the final, I also know I'd get to spend more time with her if she was knocked out early. I remember how much we used to rehearse when we got close to the final. We were doing 16 hour days sometimes. I don't want to be sitting around here waiting for her, knowing she's not going to be home until gone 11 every night."

Zoe's laughter confused Joe. "What?" he asked.

Once she had stopped, Zoe explained. "She only did that because she fancied you, you idiot. It was a nice little excuse to spend every waking hour with you. And, I'm guessing, a good explanation for anyone who noticed how many nights she spent at your house, since it was so much closer to where you were training." She paused for a moment, letting her words sink in. "Am I wrong?"

Joe felt his skin flushing. "I honestly never thought about that. Did... did everyone else think that too? Because we were genuinely dancing the whole time. No... other stuff was happening."

Zoe groaned. "Number one, I don't want to know about any of the 'other stuff'. And, two, of course they did. Everyone knew something was going on. You two were inseparable. It made sense you'd want to use all your time together, hands on each other's bodies..."

"It makes so much sense now. I always wondered why people commented on how much we rehearsed. I thought it was because they were jealous and they thought we were dedicated. Turns out, they had already guessed we were..."

"shagging?" Zoe finished Joe's sentence.

Joe gasped. "Zoe! I was going to say dating."

Zoe laughed. "Well, I think I'm probably right. You ask your old cast mates. I bet they thought it was more casual at first. A friends with benefits type thing. Until they saw you two all cosy and cute. That's when they probably realised it was looooove."

Joe rolled his eyes. "Do big sisters ever stop teasing?"

"Nope. Never. Anyway, I've got a lot of catching up to do. Dianne's your first girlfriend since you were in school and I'm determined to make up for lost time."

"Fair enough. I'd do the same to you if Alfie wasn't so tall and intimidating. I mean, I could probably beat him in a salsa competition, but not an arm wrestle." Joe paused, realizing that this was the first time either of them had mentioned Alfie. "How... how is he, by the way? How are you?"