Chapter 41

"Hey. Come in. We're almost ready."

Zoe walked into Joe's apartment to find Dianne sat cross-legged on the comfy chair in the corner of the living room. Dropping her bag, she walked over to her and held out her arms.

"Come here."

Dianne got up, accepting Zoe's hug. "Shall we get you out of here?" she said softly.

Dianne pulled back, looking confused. Joe, who had just walked into the room, caught the expression on her face. "What's up?" he asked.

Dianne shook her head. Everything seemed to be happening around her, and she felt completely out of control. "Why are we leaving?" she questioned. "No offense, Zoe. I just... I don't remember being asked."

Joe sighed and walked over to where his girlfriend and sister were stood. "Look," he said, instinctively reaching out to place a protective hand on Dianne's back, "the flat doesn't feel secure. Not after last night. I just think it would be a good idea if we went somewhere more private for a couple of days. And nowhere is safer than Fort Zalfie."

Zoe rolled her eyes and elbowed her brother. "Don't take the piss."

Joe shrugged. "I'm not. It is safe though. Nobody's allowed in without the password."

"What is the password?" Dianne asked Joe.

He paused for a moment. "Bumshuffle."

"What?" Zoe and Dianne said in unison. "Bumshuffle?" Zoe continued, "where did that come from?"

Joe grinned. "It was the first word that came into my head. Anyway." He turned to Dianne. "Come on, pretty girl. I've felt horrible about being in this flat since last night. I need to get out too- just so we can clear our heads and come up with a plan. Is... is that alright with you?"

Dianne took a deep breath. Looking between Zoe and Joe, she nodded her head slowly. "That's fine. I don't know if it's going to make any difference but, right now, I'll give anything a shot."

Joe leaned in and kissed her forehead. "Me too."

///

Almost as soon as they got out onto the motorway, Joe fell asleep in the back of the car. He had let Dianne sit in the front seat, not even attempting to play 'shotgun' with her. Zoe glanced in her rearview mirror.

"Bless him" Dianne said quietly, acknowledging that Zoe had noticed. "He must be exhausted. I don't even know what time he got in last night."

Zoe thought for a moment. "He messaged me to say you were there. I think that was at about half 2?"

Dianne grimaced. "That late? Really?" She tilted her head back, resting it against the seat. "I can't believe he came back."

"Well, I'm glad he did" Zoe said. "We were all really worried."

Dianne shook her head. "You shouldn't be. That's not fair. You can't spend your life worrying about the stupid things I do. I feel bad enough about Joe..."

Zoe took her eyes off the road for a second to glance at Dianne. "You're not stupid" she said sincerely, before focusing again on the motorway. "Also, I'm going to worry about you. You're important. I care about you. I know you've not been together that long, but honestly you will always be special to me."

Dianne managed a slight smile.

"How are you feeling, anyway?" Zoe asked. "I don't know how much Joe has told you, but I've had my own issues with my mental health. So, I kind of get it. Tell me honestly."