Chapter 21

"Di? Dot? You ok?"

Joe rushed over to her side, leaning his scooter against a tree before kneeling next to Dianne. The cyclist hadn't stopped; Joe had seen him riding into the distance as he raced over to his girlfriend.

"Are you hurt?"

Dianne sat up and shook her head. "I don't think so" she said quietly, picking a stray leaf out of her hair. "Do I... look hurt?"

Joe checked her over quickly, brushing the dirt from her back as she slowly rose to her feet. She leaned against him for a moment, catching her breath. Joe looked around for a moment, checking who was nearby, before kissing her forehead.

"I think you're alright. As long as you feel OK?"

Dianne nodded, before gasping, which caused Joe to stare at her wide-eyed.

"The bike", she said in a panicked tone, "is the bike OK? Oh God, it was a present and it..."

Joe picked the bike up and checked it over. "It looks fine. Do you want to get back on and get home? I know we talked about spending more time here, but I'm guessing you don't want to now."

Dianne shook her head. "No. I... I think I'd just like to get myself home."

Joe held the bike steady as Dianne clambered back into her seat and began to pedal slowly. Thankfully, everything still seemed to be working. Joe kept his speed down, sticking by Dianne's side as they went back the way they had already been- through the park and back onto the Thames path that would lead to Joe's apartment building.

Dianne was quiet the entire ride back as she tried her best to process what had just happened. She knew that, rationally, it could have been an accident. The cyclist could have been going too fast to see her or misjudged his turn. Clipping the wheel could have been a mistake and he could have been trying to balance himself by putting his arm out, not realizing Dianne would be there.

But it could have been intentional. That man could have meant to hurt her. Meant to push her.

Why?

By the time they got back to the apartment, the shock had worn off. Dianne's back was throbbing where she had hit the ground and she could feel the sting of a light graze on her thigh.

"You sit down" Joe said to her, taking her bike as they walked through the door, "I'll put these away and then I'll make us a nice tea."

Dianne couldn't do anything more than nod. She sat back and watched as Joe moved purposefully around the space, first putting the bike and scooter under the stairs before putting on the kettle and retrieving two mugs from the cupboard.

Once their drinks were ready, Joe walked over to the couch and put the two mugs on the coffee table. Sitting next to Dianne, he kissed her cheek. "How are you feeling now?"

Dianne pulled her top over her head, leaving her in just a sports bra. "Do I have a mark?" she asked.

Joe ran his hand gently over the expanse of skin, noticing how Dianne took a sharp breath when he got close to her spine. Moving closer, he left a soft kiss there. "You have a couple of marks. They're red; I don't know if they'll bruise." Joe paused for a moment. "Do you want me to get the arnica cream?"

"Yes please."

Joe pulled himself back up from the couch and walked into the bathroom. Left alone with her thoughts, Dianne felt a rush of panic building in her body. Taking a deep breath, she tried to use every relaxation technique she had covered that morning to bring herself back from her anxious state.