Chapter 43

"What?" Zoe and Alfie both shouted at the same time.

Dianne backed away slightly at the sound but stayed staring at Alfie. "You... you've never liked me, have you?" Alfie began to stammer, but Dianne continued. "You've made it very clear you think I'm not good enough to belong in your little circle, but I guess I wasn't listening. Or I was too stupid to realise what you were saying. So..." she scratched at her neck, looking away for a second, "so you thought you'd prove yourself, right? Take advantage of the fact that I'm naïve and that this whole situation with this girl asking for help is my fault?" Alfie blinked. "You know how the paparazzi work. Man, you've even been one for a day and you managed to track Joe down. It wouldn't take much to find me, so you snap a couple of photos and get them sketched up by someone. I know you know enough people to get this sort of thing done. Nobody would ask questions. Well, I guess you proved your point. I'm scared shitless and I'm regretting ever becoming well-known enough for this to happen. You win."

Dianne turned on her heel and began to walk back towards the kitchen but was stopped by Joe. "Are you serious?" he asked. "Do... do you really think Alfie's doing this?"

"Yeah. I think he wanted to prove his point. And he has. So well done, him."

Zoe shook her head. "Di, I know you're vulnerable right now but accusing my boyfriend of this is wrong. He'd never do anything like that. Not to you, not to anyone."

Dianne's eyes were wild. Turning to look between Alfie and Zoe, a small laugh escaped her lips. "Maybe I'm not the only one who is naive" she said. "Take a look around. He hates me, and he'll do whatever it takes to get me out the way." Dianne sighed. "I guess," she looked at Zoe now, "I guess you either didn't see it, or you think the same thing. Don't worry. I'll leave. I know when I'm not wanted."

Dianne tried to push past Joe to get into the kitchen.

"Dianne, wait" Zoe said, trying to stay calm. "Be rational. Please try and be rational about this."

"Rational? Zoe, I'm losing my mind! I can't be rational, and you know that. Isn't that the whole reason I'm here? Because I'm going mad?"

"No. No, we..."

"Leave it" Dianne said, holding up her hand. "If you didn't think I was going mad, you wouldn't have called your therapist to come and assess me. I get it now. Make Dianne think she's crazy, and then get the men in white coats to come and lock her up in a padded cell! That's the only way to get rid of her because she's so clingy and she's taken over Joe's life!"

Joe stared at the floor, unable to even look at his girlfriend. His heart felt as if it was slowly, painfully tearing in two in his chest. He could hear how much Dianne was hurting, but every new word that came out of her mouth was driving them further and further away from where they used to be.

"When did you know about the therapist?" he finally asked.

"I heard you. And I saw the message on your phone." Dianne said. "I pretended I didn't, because I wanted to know if you were a liar too."

Joe squeezed his eyes closed. "Dianne, I..."

Dianne shook her head. "Don't apologise. It's too late for that." Reaching out, she grabbed the pair of trainers she had worn to travel down in that morning.

Zoe noticed what she was doing, and quickly ushered Alfie out of the way. Closing the living room door, she sighed. "Shit".

Alfie nodded. "My thoughts exactly."

Zoe threw herself down on the sofa and looked at her boyfriend. "Do... do you actually hate her? I know what she said about the pictures isn't true but... is she right about that?"