Chapter 24

"I used to love coming down here when I was little".

The following morning, after a restful sleep, Joe had suggested that he and Dianne take Hector- his mum's dog- out for a long walk. Tracey had a jewellery order to complete, and so she was grateful of the offer.

"Really? Did you come here a lot?" Dianne asked, watching as Hector bounded ahead of them, seemingly searching for the biggest stick he could carry.

Joe nodded. "Yeah, me and my mates used to take our bikes out here. If you go far enough down this lane, there's a little footpath that takes you to the river. We built a massive den one summer. We came here pretty much every day until it was done. Honestly, it was huge. We could all fit inside it. Although," he glanced down at his body, "we were all pretty tiny."

Dianne smiled. "That's cute. It's so nice that you have stories like that. I used to love all my adventures as a kid. We lived opposite the bush for a while, so we used to go out and search for treasures. Usually just rocks and stuff. I had a proper little collection in my bedroom."

"Me too. I loved looking for fossils. Well, you know that already, but it was something I did for hours."

"Were you quite quiet as a kid?" Dianne asked. "I know you were popular, but I get the impression you weren't as outgoing."

Joe shrugged, swinging the dog lead in his hand. "I was. I was shy, definitely. Not with my mates, but in bigger groups."

Dianne smiled. "I was... not. I was loud. I still am."

Joe nodded. "I was about to say..." His comment earned him a light slap on the arm. "What? It's true. Your mum said so as well. She said people used to call you 'firecracker'."

"They did!" Dianne laughed. "I was so full of energy. I mean, crazy full of energy. My poor parents probably didn't know what hit them. They had these two boys who were rough around the edges but quite sweet, and then they got the little girl they always wanted and boom!"

Joe smiled. "I'm sure they wouldn't have you any other way. I know I wouldn't."

They continued down the lane for a little while longer, before deciding to turn back. "I would carry on," Joe explained, "but there's loads of mud and I don't want you to get all dirty."

Hand in hand, the dog still ahead of them, they walked back up the lane towards the pretty main road of the small village where Tracey lived. As they approached the junction, Joe called Hector to his side and put him back on the lead. "You're such a good boy" Dianne said, patting his head.

"Excuse me?" The voice made Joe jump. Turning around, he noticed two girls, both holding their phones.

"Oh my God, I told you it was them" one of the girls said to the other in an excited whisper.

Dianne laughed. "Was it the red hair that gave it away?"

The girl nodded. "Could we have a picture?"

Without a second thought, the pair posed with the girls.

"That's so cool! Thank you."

As they began to walk off, Joe quickly jogged after them, Hector at his side. Dianne stood back, unsure of what was going on.

"Girls?" he called. "Sorry, can I ask a favour? Would you mind not posting that picture yet? Just... we're supposed to be incognito at the moment. What if... could you wait until Friday? And maybe not say exactly where you saw us?"

He held out his hand. Both girls shook it in turn. As they walked away, Joe couldn't help but laugh at their conversation.

"Do you think they're doing that Celebrity Hunted thing? Where you have to hide out?"

"No way. There's no cameras. Maybe they're doing a secret project."

Shaking his head and laughing to himself, Joe walked back to Dianne.

"What was that about?" she asked. "Why did you ask them not to post anything?"

Joe shrugged. "I just thought it made sense. I kind of liked the idea of coming here and nobody knowing where we were. I don't want to spoil that. God only knows who could come out the woodwork- mum could have bloody paparazzis at her door."

"I like that. I guess that's the problem with being in London most of the time- people spot you because everywhere is busy. And, as we know, some people don't always respect you or think you're a real person. It's nice to just be Joe and Dianne for a few days, rather than Thatcher Joe and that Australian one from Strictly."

Joe smiled. "Very true. By the way, going back to people not respecting privacy and stuff, how are you feeling about the whole 'situation' now? With the letter and that girl?"

"I, uh, I think I'm alright. I mean, I'm still a bit paranoid. I thought I saw her the other day, but it was just someone in a similar jacket. I'll probably be on edge for a while, just because it took me by surprise, but unless anything else happens I'll be fine." Dianne paused and took Joe's hand. "Coming here has really helped though. It's nice to clear your mind every once in a while. Thank you."

Joe looked at Dianne and smiled. Leaning in, he kissed her quickly. "I'm glad it's helping. Come on, let's get this dog home. I think we've just about worn him out."

Once they reached the edge of Tracey's driveway, Dianne let Hector off the lead and watched him run into the garden.

"Well, look at you two". Zoe's voice came from the open front door where she stood smiling at both of them as they walked hand in hand. "I swear you get cuter every time I see you."

Joe rolled his eyes as he walked towards his sister, still holding Dianne's hand.  As soon as they got to the door, Dianne crouched down to greet Nala.

"Hey, little puppy. Your big friend is out in the back. Do you want to go and see?"

Nala was excitedly turning in circles. Zoe laughed as she watched Dianne desperately trying to get her to follow her. In the end, she picked up one of Hector's toys and threw it. Despite it being almost as big as her, Nala set off after it. Dianne laughed and followed the pug into the back garden.

Once Dianne had disappeared from view, Zoe turned to her brother. "How is she doing?" she asked, still concerned.

Joe shrugged. "She's alright. I'll let her explain to you, but the situation she was asking Alfie about ended up being a bit weird. She's OK, but I think it shook her."

"OK. I'll ask her about it later." They made their way to the back of the house, watching Dianne playing with both the dogs.

"You know", Zoe said to Joe, "I can remember telling you that she definitely liked you back. You didn't believe me. Did you ever think this could happen? That she'd be here- in mum's garden- with all of us?"

Joe shook his head. "I'm so glad I took your advice and told her how I felt. I... I wanted this. I wanted someone I could bring to meet the family. Someone who would fit in. She just... she ticks all the boxes."

Zoe grinned. "She does. You're a lucky boy, Joseph."