Chapter 15

Luca

I hang up, throwing the phone on my desk. My father is a pain in the ass more now, that he retired. He now has all the time in the world to find new ways to exasperate me. He keeps insisting on a dinner at his house.

My phone buzzes again. I hope, for his sake, that it's not him again. It's Matteo. I open the message.

She just left with a taxi. Do I follow her?

This is about Elena. She asked me to take a taxi home, insisted actually. I'm not going to play cop with her. I don't have time to stalk her around. And she's right about keeping me a secret from her friend. The less people know about us, the better.

No.

Last night's dinner was pleasant. She gets along well with my brothers. That's not something new, I already knew they liked her. My focus wasn't on them anyway. She always steals my attention when she's in a room. It's hypnotizing watching her engage in conversation and entertaining my guests. That's what's expected from women in our world, to be pleasant. She is, not only to the eye, but to the mind as well, and she has a good heart. Seeing her cry for our mother shocked us all a little, even if nobody showed it. Usually I like seeing her in tears, but not those kind of tears. I hate them, especially knowing it's because I caused them.

A timid knock on the door brings me back in my office. I look up, the door opens and Melody enters. She's wearing a short skirt and a lace bra. She gives me one of her sultry smiles as she brings my drinks.

"Good morning, Luca."

She wants to circle the desk, but I stop her, pointing to my desk.

"Put the drinks down here. That's all."

I'm sure my voice and face betray no interest in her, and yet she still wears her fake smile from one ear to the other. She does as told, but doesn't move after finishing her job. She bends forward, her fingers brushing my tie. I slap her hand away.

"What the fuck are you doing?"

Her smile falters.

"I was thinking we could-"

"Stop thinking then. Get out."

She presses her tits forward, and waits for my reaction. Is she really that cheap?

"This is the last time I'm telling you nicely." I narrow my eyes at her.

She sighs heavily and leaves the room. I start to think it was a bad idea to set my office in the casino.

●●●

Francesco Acri, my father's consigliere puts down the files I requested. The business in Italy is going slow. The men my father has there, aren't doing their jobs properly. I'll have to correct that. John Moretti, my future in law, has somehow managed to infiltrate in our business there. We're mainly operating in the north of the country. His headquarters are all the way down in Sicily, but his greedy hands got him 30% of the shares in our real estate company in Milan.

One of the reasons father wants me to marry Moretti's daughter is that he gained access to our inside operation and he wants it to stay in the family. That way people won't know how weak he really was lately. Losing shares in Moretti's favor. Fucking idiot!

"Do you need anything else?" Francesco asks, closing his briefcase.

I shake my head, looking at the paperwork I have to go through. I really hope Salvo gets here soon.

"I'll go then." He nods his head once, turns around and heads to the door. Right before he opens the door I say,

"Tell uncle Emanuel I want to see him. He has until sunset to be here." I lean back in my leather chair. Francesco stops, turns to me and for a brief moment studies me. Is he second guessing my order? He should know better. Finally, he nods and leaves the room.