Chapter 22

ELENA

"What do you mean you moved in with him?" the high pitched voice makes me remove my phone from my ear for a moment until the line goes silent.

"Serena... calm down. What has gotten into you?"

"What has gotten into me? Imagine my shock when I stop by your house, you're not here and when I call, you tell me you have moved in with your mob boyfriend."

I cringe at the sound of that term.

"I hope you're not yelling those words from the top of your lungs out in the street."

"Yes, I am. This is what you deserve for making such a decision!" She spits venomously into the phone.

Ok, forgive me for overstepping.

"I think you should calm down. What is this all about? Do you wanna meet up?"

"Yes!" she whines into the phone and it only strengthens my belief that she is in some kind of trouble, "meet me at our burger place in an hour?"

"Oh! I'll talk to Luca and see what I can do."

I probably shouldn't have said that because she goes on another rollercoaster of curses, accusing me of being meek and obedient.

"You fucker! I'm going to break his fucking legs!" Luca's angry voice comes from the foyer, drastically deciding somebody else's ending.

Shit!

This conversation with Serena is the last thing I want him to hear.

"I gotta go, Serena."

"No –"

I cut her off, hanging up the phone and slipping it into the back pocket of my dark blue jeans.

"Fucking fuck!"

Luca immediately appears from around the corner, stepping into the large living room. A big frown mars his handsome face as his eyes burn with anger. As soon as spots me it diminishes and he slowly makes his way toward me, tapping his phone to the heel of his palm.

"Hey, I didn't know you were here." It's probably an excuse for hearing him curse earlier.

His arm snakes around my waist and pulls me against his chest for a deep kiss. His tongue breaching my lips, not only conquering my mouth but also every ounce of sense I have in my body, as it goes limp in his arms. Meanwhile, my phone vibrates nonstop in my pocket.

I try to pull away from him, but he deepens it even more, his other hand gripping my ribs, his thumb caressing the side of my breast making me push my pelvis into him.

All notion of time and space out the window, his wandering hand is gone and so is my phone. Luca's mouth pulls away from mine and his attention turns to my phone in his hand.

I move to take it from his hand but he stops me, gently pushing me back a few steps, while he glares at me.

"Luca!" my voice comes out high pitched and I hate it. It makes me look guilty. Who knows what he thinks is going on here. But I'm only trying to prevent him from finding out about whatever Serena wrote about him. Whatever it is, it's not good.

Normally I wouldn't accept someone take my phone and go through it, but considering that Luca isn't just anyone and I doubt there is much I can do when he uses his body to block me; add our 'enemies to lovers' situation, arguing wouldn't benefit me much.

He ignores me as his finger swipes across the screen and he write in my password.

Of course he knows my password.