Chapter 12

Elena

The phone is still ringing when I hurry out of the shower. I grab a towel on my way to the bed. Luca's name flashes on the screen. It's been ringing for some time, now. I was hoping it was nothing important.

"Hi! Sorry, I was showering." I blurt our trying to even my breath.

'Mhh, are you trying to get me to pay you a visit?' he asks in his throaty lascivious tone.

"I hear you're too busy." I tease, smiling and letting myself fall on the bed.

'I am, otherwise I'd be there, giving you plenty of reasons to shower.' I try to suppress my giggle.

It's been three days since I've seen him last. He's been busy most of the time, god knows doing what. I don't want to ask. Last time he was busy, he came in the bedroom covered in blood, and not quite himself.

'What are you up to today?' he inquires.

"I don't know. Serena is coming over soon, in fact she should be here any minute, now. She said she wants to do something and I have to wait to see what it is."

'Serenaaa... the best friend?'

"Exactly. What about you, what are you up to?"

'Business.'

He doesn't elaborate. Of course he wouldn't, most of his business is illegal, he'd be stupid to talk about it on the phone.

'I want you to have dinner with me and my brothers, Friday night.' His order comes out even, a firm decision.

"Is it an order or a request?"

'You presencer is compulsory. No "no's" allowed, so you tell me.' I can feel his grin over the phone.

"I'm tempted to say no, just to get you accustomed with the word."

He chuckles darkly, 'I'm sure that would work out marvelously for you.'

The door to my bedroom is open, so I hear the loud bang my front door makes when it hits the wall.

"Honey! I'm hooome!" Serena's chirpy voice resonates through the house.

"Serena is here, I have to hang up if you don't want her to listen to your every breath."

I can feel his mood swinging to brooding even without seeing him.

"I hope you're ready for a whole day bathing in the sun and ogling hot guys, because we are hitting the pool today." She yells as she enters my bedroom.

'That's a no.' I hear Luca bark into the phone.

"Who are you talking to?" Serena comes closer, leaning her ear against the phone.

I push her away and turn my back to her.

"I really have to go, we're going to the pull. I'll talk to you later, ok?"

'You're not going, not unless-' I press the red button and hang up. The last thing I need is him ordering me around in front of my friend. She'd declare war against him, and I don't want to see a fight between them. She's already not a big fan of his.

"It was Luca, wasn't it?"

I turn to her, and as I do I hear my phone ring again. I switch the button to silent mode.

"Yes."

She's already dressed for the pool, I can see the swimwear through the thin summer dress. I look at the time, it's 10 am. If I hurry now, it's a big chance we won't run into a raging Luca, in front of my house.