Chapter 18

LUCA

I arrange my suit jacket on the kitchen-stool. I do a once over of the place. My guys already searched the house while she was away. Now that I know the feds are watching her, I can't be too careful. They can easily bug the house just to catch us fucking and hoping I'll incriminate myself somehow.

After a quick inspection of the place, I lean on the kitchen counter. She's not going to be happy when she finds me here. It's an unwanted surprise. As was her lunch with my brothers. When the news got to me, I had to go there and see what it was about. At first I hated myself for disturbing her serenity. She seemed carefree laughing with my brothers, but I wanted that. Her laughs and smiles are all mine.

I look at my watch. I can't believe I'm fucking nervous about this.

Jeez, grow a pair.

She said it countless times that she doesn't appreciate me breaking into her house. But we couldn't speak in that alley. I did warn her we'll see each other soon. I did my part. Now, I should do something nice so she'll turn a blind eye on this. At least that's how I heard it works with women.

Cooking? I scrunch up my nose. No, she'll never talk to me, ever again. Cleaning? Hell no! I look around the room. This is going to take forever. She's too messy, it would take an army to clean up this place. Sex? Definitely sex. But I have a feeling she won't let me touch her. I sigh. This is going to be harder than I thought.

I don't even recognize myself. When it comes to women I always choose the easy way. Usually it is easy, because they throw themselves at me. Even if that isn't the case, I'm sure as hell not going to court. I just take the ones that are available. They all serve the same purpose, after all.

And yet, here you are.

Because this time it's different.

I hear the lock on the door click. Shit! I rest my forearms on the counter and keep my eyes on entrance of the kitchen. She sighs heavily. I can hear her kick off her shoes, and then her bare feet take her to me. The sound makes me smile, but I fight it off.

She stops dead in her tracks, one hand gripping the wall to keep her steady. The same shocked face she always has when she finds me here. It's not like it's the first time. I don't understand why she's always this surprised to see me.

Trying to keep my composure, when all I want to do is hoist her in my arms and kiss the fuck out of her, is close to impossible. And there's also the urge to paint her ass black and blue with my belt for creating such a mess with her secrets.

"You're unbelievable!" she blurts out, shaking her head lightly.

I chuckle, "I know."

And I also know that I have to start talking before she kicks me out.

"What are you doing here?"

"That question is starting to feel old. I think it's pretty obvious what I'm doing, don't you think?"

"I'm not doing this." She backs away, shaking her head, holding her hands up likes she's denying any tie she has with me. All while disappearing around the corner, only to come back five seconds after that.

"Actually no. You want to talk. Fine! Let's talk!" Her sturdy steps take her closer to the kitchen counter, to me. Her hands rest on her hips. My eyebrows quirk up. She's waiting for me to talk? She's the one that has a lot of explaining to do.

"Fine." I shrug, "Why the fuck didn't you tell me who you are?"

She laughs, but it's barely that. "Don't you know everything?" fury ignites her pretty green eyes. "You know damn well why." She points an accusing finger at me, making it seem like I've already killed her whole family. It's just a possibility in her mind. Not that I don't want to rip her father's throat out.