Chapter 23

Luca

I lean against the white stone archway of my front terrace. My eyes follow the red BMW pulling to a stop in front of my house.

Like I wasn't pissed enough today. Now she has to pop up unannounced.

Out of the car appears a dressed up brunette. One I used to know well since she made it her own mission to meddle in my business while we were growing up.

She's wearing a skintight short black dress and impressively high heels. I've always wondered how women could drive in those atrocities. Points for them, I guess.

She's throwing me a bright confident smile as she walks up to me, and stops, lifting her sunglasses at the top of her head. 

I would laugh at the sight, if I wouldn't know why she's here. It doesn't really take a genius to figure out what she's after. It just pisses the fuck out of me.

She's beautiful, but then again, I don't think there is a Medici that's not good looking. Maybe, except for cousin Ricardo. His physic is a little messed up, add to that he became a cop. The family's black sheep.

"Hey, cuz! Why do you look so grim?" she greets.

She seems to be in high spirits.

I can't even remember the last time I have seen her. But she sure hasn't changed where it matters since the big scowl on my face doesn't make her cower.

"Your visit's a surprise. Unpleasant at that."

"I remember you don't like surprises," she scrunches up her nose. "Sorry."

"Why are you here, Renata?"

Don't you fucking dare to give me other bad news! My old man calling me and telling me they settled on a date for the wedding has already ruined any attempt at a good day.

I need more fucking time. We're not there, yet.

"Oh, uncle Antonio hasn't spoken to you? Rossana called me last night saying her and Erica decided on the place and décor of the ceremony. How nice of you to give them a free hand in this," her mouth smiles, but her hawk eyes study me for any breach, as little as it may be.

Hearing Erica's name makes all my defenses rise, my hearing becoming extra cautious, seeking for signs Elena might be close by.

I need to shut her up before she ruins everything.

I specifically told the old bat that I don't give a fuck about the wedding as long as my guests were happy. They know I don't fucking care about such trivial things as the color theme or the bride's dress. That was a long time ago. Long before she came around and fucked up every plan I've made for this life.

Renata's role in this isn't to play the little event planner like her job is. No, she's here to set me off. He sent her here with a greater purpose. To remind me the inevitable is coming and I have no fucking way to stop it. Not without losing everything I've ever worked for. Maybe even the lives of the people I care about most. 

Our world doesn't deal well with dishonor and what I have in mind is to dishonor the shit out of our agreement. 

Looking straight into my cousin's eyes, I can see she's aware something's out of place. I wonder how much she knows.

"This could have been a phone call or even better, a text." I say.

"Uncle Antonio specifically told me I come and show you what they chose, to make sure you are ok with everything. You're the one who pays for it," she adds with a short, cautious laugh.