Chapter 20

Luca

"Good afternoon, sir!" Diana greets me as we walk through the front door.

"Hello, Diana!" Elena smiles her way before she gets to greet her.

"Miss-"

"It's just Elena, please." She insists.

Diana nods, giving her a small smile before it vanishes as she looks at me, "Your brothers are already here." She lets me know before disappearing to the kitchen.

One wall of the dining room is made only of glass. The glass sliding doors lead to the large porch at the back of the house. I can see both of my brothers through the glass wall. Gio and Salvo preparing for the game. As soon as they hear Elena's heels click against the floor, they turn their heads to us at once.

Salvo's lips form a thin line and his disapproving gaze falls on our entwined hands. Gio has a shit eating grin on his face as he holds out his hand and Salvo slaps a hundred bucks in it.

I give them both a hard stare as we pass the glass wall and step outside.

"I was beginning to worry." Gio says giving me half a hug before turning to Elena with a smirk plastered on his face, "I was making all these scenarios where you were hurting my brother."

Salvo rolls back his eyes as he shakes my hand. Elena doesn't look impressed at all as Gio hugs her and kisses her cheek.

"I have a business idea." He says rubbing the hundred dollar bill between his fingers, "You and I are going to get so rich. Richer," he quickly corrects himself. His eyes lift from Elena's concerned face to mine, "I'll call you later with the specifics. There are too many ears around here." He narrows his eyes on us.

He lives to make a fool out of himself. I shake my head at him and he lets go of Elena. She comes forth and Salvo greets her. We take our sits on the couches facing the 200 inch projector screen at the other end of the porch.

"Any news from Dante?" Salvo asks taking a swig of his beer.

I nod, "He got their attention. He's positive he's going to win the bidding and win over some associates in the process."

Dante left for Vegas after the funeral. We're interested in expanding our hotel and casino chains and what better place to do that than Vegas? There's a bidding on an abandoned hotel and the terrain around it. Dante's going to make sure the highest bidder is us.

New York City is our home. We hold shares and own most of the important business in town, but that does not mean we can't expand. Our hotel chains are all over Europe and North America, the only legal side of our empire. The rest of the business, casinos, night clubs, restaurants are mere fronts for what's going down behind closed doors. That's the real deal. That's where the huge amount of cash comes from, but we needed sources we can show to the public. Sources profitable enough to justify the luxury we live in, so hotels and casinos have to do it.

"Well, what better way to start a business than on somebody else's money, right?" Gio cheers raising his beer before drinking it.

Enzo Lombardo, the capo of the Vegas family is a friend of Dante's. Some time ago Dante saved his ass in an open fire shooting on the city's streets and since then he's treating Dante like his family. This brotherhood improved business on both sides and, hopefully, it will help us run the hotel and casino in Vegas.

The sound of the travertine floor getting hit by nails in a constant rhythm is the first thing I hear before the black German Shepherd stops in front of us watching each and everyone, starting with Gio and stopping at Elena, who seems bewitched with the beast in front of her.