Chapter Three

Would you believe me if I told you that I was a virgin, and would you believe me even less if you learned that Blake was OK with it? I don't care what you think. Call us old-fashioned and out- dated, but we were saving ourselves for the special day when we would be married. And we were planning that day to come in the very near future.

And that made it that much harder when we heard of the first strangling that desecrated this special little town. Then the second killing gave the police new clues. It seemed there was a pattern developing. The victim was another young student. Her Name was Sara K. Entelsonas. They showed her photo on the news, and I recognized her. She wasn't a close friend of mine, but I thought I might have seen her around in the East Town coffee shops. She was pretty, too. They showed a series of photos where she was always smiling. Always beaming. Her mother was interviewed on TV and said her daughter was the personification of joy and happiness. She also said,"Sara was an active member of her church and never said an unkind thing to anyone."

Then they showed Sara's boyfriend. He had thick blond hair, and a square jaw, and the news anchor said he was the former quarterback of his high school football team but was now a student of theological studies at Calvin College here in town. He said of Sara, "We were going to get married next year in July." I felt terrible hearing him say that. And I couldn't help but wonder if this Sara K. Entelsonas was a virgin like me. I was almost sure that she was. If she was as devout a Christian as they said, then I seriously doubt if their love was consummated.

I guessed the most important thing was that she was loved. Someone cared deeply about her. Whether they made love or had sex really didn't matter. But sometimes I got so curious about certain things that I should have just left well enough alone. It brought out the detective in me. I always wanted to know the inside scoop. And I wished that I had to the guts to ask her boyfriend (if I ran into him about town) if they had gone all the way.

I thought about "doing it" all the time. Maybe if I just went ahead and "did it" it would not plague my mind. And it would not have become such an obsession.

I heard that guys my age thought like a porno flick yet looked like geeks and girls my age looked like porno stars but had the minds of nuns. How true!