Coffee Boys and Secret Relationships

Betty and Veronica sat in the middle of the coffee shop talking whilst taking sips of their drinks every few moments. A few meters away at the counter stood Jughead. He was swirling his coffee for a couple minutes now just looking at the Hitchcock blonde he was immediately enamoured by. After about 10 minutes of faffing, he eventually walked over to where she sat.

"B? B? B!" Betty looked up startled, "what Veronica?"
"Raven haired hottie coming this way. He's been staring at me for like half an hour." Betty chuckled at her best friend who started to fluff her hair up and twirl it around her fingertips.
"Hey," Jughead softly said whilst looking at the blonde.
"Let's cut this short," Jughead turned to face Veronica, "I saw you staring at me: meet me at the restaurant on third 8 o'clock tomorrow and we'll go on a date. If you all goes well then you can have my number," Veronica picked up her bag and stood up, "see you then," and left.
"Did that just-" Jughead started.
"Welcome to the dating world of Veronica Lodge," Betty said. "You might want to arrive at 10 past 8 instead. She is one to arrive 'fashionably late' everywhere she goes to keep you on your toes," Betty took a sip of her coffee.
"But I didn't, I'm not," Jughead rambled.
"You're mumbling."
"I didn't want a date or her number," he explained with a sigh. "You were staring at her and literally pacing for literally ages," Betty laughed.
"Well yes I was nervous because I wanted a number just not hers," Jughead shyly smiled.
"What do you- wait do you mean me?" Betty blushed.
"Yes, you," he chuckled before continuing, "and with my bad dating luck it just went wrong," Jughead huffed.
"Has this happened before then?"
"Nope but maybe I could tell you about it sometime. At a restaurant, just you and me."
"Are you asking me out?" Betty asked with a smile.
"Yes," he quickly said, "you. Not anyone else. Not that random person waiting for coffee. But you," he iterated.
"I would love to," a smile worked its way onto Jughead's face, "but what about Veronica?" Jughead was quiet for a moment before saying, "text her, ask for it to be rescheduled for Friday and I'll find someone for her."
"Okay fine. Let's do it -uh- I don't think I actually caught your name. What is it?" Betty enquired.
"Oh yeah— it's Jughead Jones."
"Betty Cooper."

"B you won't believe what the raven haired bimbo did," Veronica exclaimed as she entered the room, slamming the door with her. She roughly put her bag on the table and started to take her heels off as Betty asked nervously, "what?"
"Sent his friend instead. I mean who does that to anyone; more to the fact who does that to a Lodge? No one that is." She took her shoes off and slumped onto the couch besides Betty, facing her. "Oh I'm sorry, V." And she was, truly, sorry. Granted she didn't regret it, but she felt bad for her best friend.
"He did leave his red-headed Ansel Elgort friend and we got along perfectly but I am still outraged!"
"Maybe-" Betty started before Veronica interrupted, "I mean, he rescheduled already! And then just didn't show! You saw how much he stared at me in the cafe. This is outrageous!"
"How about we have a Nicholas Sparks marathon to put your mind off it?" Betty asked, gesturing towards the tv. "You are the best friend a girl could ask for, Betty Cooper."
"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. But how was the guy you were with?"
"Let's just say we're going out again tomorrow, and I, apart from the embarrassment I endured, am happy that he replaced the coffee shop boy," she smiled.
"I'm happy for you, V."
"Me too." And Betty felt a little better.

A week later, Betty was set to meet Jughead at 7 in a cute little diner Jughead used to work at. Betty had to try and dodge Veronica and did so with difficulty. To put it simply, she had to do lots of laundry before she returned.
Betty walked over to the diner and opened the door. At the sound of the bell ringing, Jughead turned from his place standing by the counter and a smile swept its way instantly on his face. "Hi," he said, "you look beautiful. Not that you didn't before, you always look beautiful but— I mean-" Betty placed a hand on his arm, breaking him out of his seemingly never ending rambling and chuckled. "Thank you," she smiled, "you do too. N-not beautiful but handsome. Very, very handsome." Jughead slightly blushed, "you wanna sit?"
"Definitely."